Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired a 1985 Alumacraft Jon boat. It has pin holes in the bottom apparently due to age and corrosion. Thinking about using MarineTex or Gluvit. Which is best.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have patched the leaks with PC11 . Leaks not from rivets but from corrosion as saltwater was trapped in trailer bunk carpet.. and put flexseal on all bottom rivets. Now going to paint the entire bottom. We shall see what we see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have patched the leaks with PC11 . Leaks not from rivets but from corrosion as saltwater was trapped in trailer bunk carpet.. and put flexseal on all bottom rivets. Now going to paint the entire bottom. We shall see what we see.
Flipped her back over. Put 6 inches of water in her. Dry as a bone. At least right now. Thinking about powering down so I don’t beat it so bad.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Good luck with that hull - I did something similar years and years ago with a custom rigged 16 foot Starcraft hull - then had to re-do it , and re-do it, and... You get the picture.

Your repairs will work just fine at first - but if you use it much - they'll need to be re-done all too soon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Capt Bob, thanks for your thoughts. Maybe when it starts leaking again I will take it to the recycler. I stayed away from aluminum boats for years. Maybe I can get enough from the recycler to buy some West System so I can refurbish a glass hull.

·
Brandon, FL
10,959 Posts
Capt Bob, thanks for your thoughts. Maybe when it starts leaking again I will take it to the recycler. I stayed away from aluminum boats for years. Maybe I can get enough from the recycler to buy some West System so I can refurbish a glass hull.
I took an 8' F150 bed to the recycler and got $18.

The only fiberglass hull you will refurbish with the proceeds is an r/c boat hull :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did an alumacraft hull last winter. It is what I currently ride in. It was the very beginning of my build so the boat was bare bones. flipped it over an went at it. First thing I did was some light sanding of the entire bottom. Then I used 5200 on all of the bow to stern seams/runners. The next thing I did was an acid bath on the bare aluminum. Pretty sure it was a phosphoric acid. Came in a spray bottle and got it at an ace hardware. It was for etching aluminum before painting and what not. Gave it a couple good etchings and then I used Goop's product called Coat-It. its a 2 part epoxy rivet sealer very similar to gluvit. Did the entire bottom. Let it set up for a couple weeks and then painted it with alumahawk boat paint. So far dry as a bone and not a scratch on the bottom. This hull had some bad leaks when I got it so Im please at this point

1 - 16 of 16 Posts