Leak Around Spark Plugs?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by rkmurphy, Jun 8, 2009.

1. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

I have a strange leak around both of my spark plugs.  It's been there for a while but I'm just trying to finish working out my kinks to get this motor to new condition...it needs to last a while.

I never noticed it before I had my water pump and thermo done in which they replaced the water cover gasket, too.

It's got to be coming from the threads because the anti-seize is apparent.  It looks and feels oily, too (gas/oil?).  All the searches I have done come up with water leaks in the water cover but I just had the gasket done.  Plus, I think I would know by now if I had water intrusion.

The plugs are torqued in tight but not too tight (finger tight plus 1/8th-1/4th turn with ratchet).

The motor runs great (knock on wood).

Any thoughts?

Here's another kink I'm trying to work out in another post:

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1244316044

2. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

sounds like burnt oil not water. are the plugs still tight when you notice the leak?

You might have to tighten them more if you are using anti-seize and maybe use less of the stuff.

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Can't diagnose if I can't see the problem...

That's what pictures are for. ;)

Can't tell from the description if it's water, oil, or dissolved
    sealant from the gasket installation. All that spray lube will
    disolve some sealants, and leave a stain or puddle.

4. rkmurphy

I'll pull the boat out of the garage and run it on the hose tomorrow to see if I can recreate it without being on the water.

Afterwards I think I'm going to do away with my Autolites and put in the NGKs. I'll keep the Autolites as spares.

It would be nice if it was just a crap spark plug issue :)

Pics to come tomorrow if I can recreate it!

5. islander1225

islander1225 Well-Known Member

I WOULD HAVE BEEN RUNNING NGK'S IN IT FROM THE GET GO ANYWAYS, CHUNK THOSE DANG AUTOLITES AND GET SOME NGK'S.

ALEX

6. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

[smiley=headbang.gif]

7. rkmurphy

Well I ran it for about 15 min today and couldn't recreate the problem. I replaced the plugs with the NGK's anyways. I definitely feel like it got a better seal with the NGKs and it even idled slightly better.

We'll see what happens after I take it out this weekend.

Thanks all!