Late March Fishing Vacation Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Net 30, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

Looking to take my 2 sons on a road trip for a few days and bend some rods.  My 16-year old is 6'4" and 23-year old is 6'2" so we need to find a guide with a large enough boat to handle 3 anglers, so really skinny water is out.

Looking for any advice on best options for quantity of fish and best chances of success. 

Has to be no more 6-8 hours from Vero Beach.  Talked to a few friends in the Keys and the bottom bite has been so-so and Key West Harbor tarpon have been marginal.  Venice LA is too far and Bahamas too expensive.

Looking to fish March 24-26.  Any good ideas?

Thanks!

2. RonBari

RonBari I Love microskiff.com!

Look back on page two under general discussion for the thread "Microskiff vacation spots". Last post March 4th.

3. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

Dad's taking a break and not pulling or poling the skiff this trip.

Looking for good areas and great guides.

4. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

March winds can kill a trip .

So,with that said I would shoot over to everglades city and find a guide to take u in the backcountry and protection from the wind.

5. RonBari

RonBari I Love microskiff.com!

River Palms Cottages in Jensen Beach.
    Several clean comfortable cottages of various sizes... pool, dock and tiki area, with many good restaurants in the area.
    The owner's name is Rufus, and he is one of the best guides around... If he is already booked, he will recommend someone who will put you on fish.

6. TC

TC I Love microskiff.com!

Anna Maria/Longboat Key. Justin Moore. http://moorefishing.com Justin is awesome. He may be booked for those dates, though.

7. gfish

gfish Well-Known Member

Go to Marathon. Book Derek Rust. Catch Tarpon and Permit. Drink celebratory brewhahas.
    =Epic Pop/Son Vacay....

8. fishicaltherapist

fishicaltherapist I Love microskiff.com!

Capt. Kai Williams in S.C. (843) 8one6-747five You WILL have a GREAT time!

9. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

This. March is a Very windy month, and my area will be blown out for sure so jensen is out of the question.
    There's always somewhere to hide in the glades.
    Have u considered an offshore trip?
    If so, Daymaker charters in jensen/stuart is bar none the best, just check his fb page. Every other captain around follows his fb page for tips haha

10. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

Anyone recommend any Everglades City guides? Looks like it might be the ticket with timing and distance.

11. Capt. Eli Whidden

Capt. Eli Whidden Sight Fishing South Florida

Bone fishing in Biscayne Bay can be fantastic during the big blow. Less pressure on the flats with plenty of hungry bonefish. Windy or not.... The tarpon bite can be red hot as well!

12. billhempel

billhempel Well-Known Member

Capt. Gary Mounce. Lives in Everglades City.

13. mgedge

mgedge I Love microskiff.com!

Call the Robinson Brothers in Apalachicola. They also have some insight into places to stay. https://www.flaredfish.com/

14. rlpfl1115

rlpfl1115 I Love microskiff.com!

Panama city cobia run got a 22 cape bay full tower sheep head,Spanish, over sized reds and cobia right now

15. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

Thanks for all the replies. Ended up spending 1st day on Okeechobee bass fishing - lost count of how many we caught on shiners and artificials.

Spent the next 2 days in Everglades City. Had a great 1st day snook fishing back inside the creeks and small bays. Front came thru overnight and blew like a SOB the 2nd day....we tried for a few hours and then pulled the plug.

No more fishing vacations in March...weather too unpredictable.

16. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.