Last minute Tarpon trip May 24 and 25...where?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by mightyrime, May 13, 2018.

1. mightyrime

mightyrime Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I just had a job pop up in ATlanta and will have May 24 and 25 off. I was thinking of popping down to Fl. on those days to chase tarpon. The guides I know in the Keys and Glades are all booked. Anyone have advice on where else i should try at that time? Is it too early for Boca Grande? I have tried Boca in the past and had terrible weather so it was not good, is it as good as the Keys and Glades if you hit it right?

Anywhere else or somebody know a good guide free on those dates?

Or I could switch gears and jump over to NOLA for spring reds and jacks.

thanks

Kerry

2. Fishshoot

Fishshoot Well-Known Member

I was in lower keys last wkend and it was on fire! No guide just me and my fishin buddy. Not sure about boca, you might check water temps online. Idk about guides in those areas.

3. bonehead

bonehead Well-Known Member

Hit up Capt Bob LeMay. He can either do day time tarpon fishing in the Everglades or night time Biscayne Bay trips. Highly respected guide around here, and I’ve fished with him and can say he’s one of the lost hardworking people I know.

4. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

You flying or driving? 7-10+hrs of driving each way to get to West Central, SW or south Florida poons. That will burn up about 1/2 your time. Check around Big bend (closer drive).

Fishshoot likes this.
  5. brianacnp

brianacnp I Love microskiff.com!

6. mightyrime

Totally flying... my job ends at about 5:30pm on the 23rd in Atlanta. There are multiple Delta flights leaving between 7:30p-9:30p that can get me to almost any florida airport... I am sort of leaning toward the new orleans redfish thing now as my guide there is avaialable and its only a $98 plane ticket... it also gets me home faster which the wife and kid like...

Thanks all for PMs... i will see what is logistically possible

7. Bonecracker

Bonecracker Well-Known Member

Good guides in the gulf region from Panacea to Apalachicola, give them a call!
    Adam Hudson 850-566-5599
    Luke Spear 850-688-3808

flysalt060 and Fishshoot like this.
  8. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

9. trailblazerEXT

trailblazerEXT I Love microskiff.com!

The tarpon fishing tournaments in Boca Grande pass have started as have the rains this past week. Could try http://www.chff.us/ for a guide

10. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

Unlikely to get a Boca fly guide on this short of notice.

11. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

You will be damn lucky to get a good tarpon fly guide anywhere at this late notice! But give Luke a call. If he happens to have an opening you'll have a great time!

Backwater likes this.
  12. trailblazerEXT

trailblazerEXT I Love microskiff.com!

Usually if the chff flyfishing guides are booked they'll refer another guide to contact for you to fish with.

Fishshoot likes this.
  13. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

Always a place to look. One word of caution though. There are guides and there are "guides." Certainly there are good ones who are new to the game and don't have a clientele built up yet. But in general if a guide isn't booked by now for tarpon season its for a reason. One could be a cancellation they just got. The other reason....I think you can figure that out.....lol

14. mightyrime

Thanks all for the help. I have booked flight and guide in NOLA for some reds and jacks as it seemed like the best option in the window.

thanks again