Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has experience using a Larry Chair for sit down kayak style paddling on a SUP? Your thoughts and impressions,,, please.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

·
Registered
252 Posts
No experience, looks like it would work. I just started using a small cooler behind me on the board to have something to sit on and rest every once in a while.

it looks like it’s about the same height.

I’ve paddled sitting down and it’s plenty stable. It’s nice to get down out of the wind.

My question for you is whether you plan to use a kayak or SUP paddle.

For me, sitting and paddling with an SUP paddle is a little inefficient, and standing and paddling with a kayak paddle is a bit awkward,

·
Registered
702 Posts
I use a cooler as a seat, doubles as a place to sto everything and keep stuff dry. Be a bit careful with the larry chair and its contact points on your board. If you have a standard epoxy/eps-foam core board. The Engle 30 qt is an inexpensive option and a good size for my board 12' x 32" , added a couple glue on tie-down points and a couple simple bungies to keep the cooler in place.

Added a couple rod holders to the back side of the cooler, although it also had/has side mount rod holders, rods in the side mount holders were in the way when paddling/poling, and even more so when sitting to paddle.

As far as paddling I tried several alternatives, SUP paddle, double blad kayak paddle, and a single canoe style paddle. I also generally carry a 12' push pole. I found the best option for me was an adjustable, full carbon for light weight, SUP paddle.. its quick and simple to shorten/lengthen the paddle for sitting or standing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Outearly and Krash,,, thanks for the replies.

I do use a cooler when fishing the flats, I paddle with a kayak paddle if I need to go any distance and use my stick pin anchor as a push pole on the flats.

I just find the cooler not the most comfortable kayak padding seat but it's great for leaning my calves against for stability when poling so I will definitely continue to use the cooler when fishing.

If I have to paddle hard I usually get down on my knees but my wife and I are both in the our mid 60's so knee paddling does gets uncomfortable after a long paddle.

I just bought a pair of L2 Fish SUPs with the idea they could double as a "touring kayak" to travel for beach combing and picnics on deserted cays a mile or two off shore". The idea of the Larry chair is to find a more comfortable paddling seat for my wife and I when the boards are not being used for fishing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I know I'm going to be covering a lot of water or dealing with strong headwinds, I use a crazy creek chair on my inflatable SUPs, and lash a real kayak paddle to the deck. Works great, pretty comfortable, and because it folds completely flat it's not in the way when stowed...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
I used to have a Larry Chair on my Diablo Adios kayak. But I still preferred my Yeti on my SUP.

The only advantage the chair will have is a back rest. It will also be harder to stand from once sitting.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yes I had a larry chair on my Kahuna Kaku which is a rotomolded hybrid SUP/Kayak. I also used a cooler occasionally. The larry chair was more comfortable when using a kayak paddle and sitting down but the cooler was more functional when standing up with a single paddle but sitting only when stopped to fish.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has experience using a Larry Chair for sit down kayak style paddling on a SUP? Your thoughts and impressions,,, please.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Yes I used one on a SUP I had in the past. I highly recommend it if you need a seat, it is lighter and more comfortable than a cooler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all who have replied. Your responses have been very helpful.

One other question for those who have used the Larry Chair,,, How well does the chair stand up to saltwater use?

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts