Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best way to repair/ restore this hull. What type of glass and repair from the inside or outside. Looking for a quick build to get more fiberglass experience. The rail is cracked in a couple places and needs some stiffining up too.I was thinking cut the front and rear bench out and put a layer of glass down on the inside. Put in new foam and reinforce the benches and reinstall. The inspection plate does not have it rated to carry much weight. Is this based on hull displacement or how thin the original laminate is, combo of both? The transom needs to be replaced too. I have a 2hp Suzuki motor. If I build it strong enough I might use a 3.9 Merc for craziness.

Attachments

G

·
I believe I see some woven on there and you can bank on csm or chopper gun hull.
Do ya wanna keep it simple and cheap? If so, get some 1.5 oz csm and a little 18oz woven roving fo the holes. Patch it up and go. You do not need biaxials or cloth even to repair this thing. Now if you are wanting to build it out that is a different story. I suggest watching a few videos from boatworks today to get the process down for patching the holes. He does a nice tutorial.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say build it out that means taking it to bare glass and rebuilding it as new? I have materials that were given to me. A whole roll of woven, csm, and cloth. I purchased 1708 and Coosa for my other skiff project I haven't worked on recently 1989 River Craft.

G

·
When you say build it out that means taking it to bare glass and rebuilding it as new? I have materials that were given to me. A whole roll of woven, csm, and cloth. I purchased 1708 and Coosa for my other skiff project I haven't worked on recently 1989 River Craft.
I meant decks, floors, stuff like that. Or are you just wanting to get a skiff on the water while you build your other?

· Brandon, FL
12,693 Posts
Do a search and look at the gheenoe builds. This boat is in the same class. Cloth, csm, and resin. Go fishing.

Don't cut the benches out. But it does look like it needs a path cut so the water can get to the back and not pool in three places.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did some more work on the boat this week. I got the benches cored and the transom bedded in. Working with fiberglass is a learning process, but you get better the more you do it. That was the idea behind this project anyway. I'll get more practice on fillets when I glass in the sides. I need to go ahead and mount my seat pedestals. Wanting to glass the remainder in wet on wet.
Rectangle Amber Wood Floor Flooring
Plant Outdoor bench Wood Rectangle Table
Automotive tire Aviation Gas Engineering Metal
Wood Gas Cuisine Composite material Flooring
Wood Wall Gas Hardwood Lumber
Property Interior design Floor Wood Flooring
Brown Rectangle Wood Floor Flooring
Interior design Automotive design Motor vehicle Wood Engineering

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.