Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pair a new reel with a new fiberglass 7 wt for salt use for bones etc. I need something with some backing and solid, strong drag. The lamson is on sale for 200 bones or so and seems light and reviews on drag seem solid. Anyone have any real world feedback.

TIA

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,210 Posts
Lamsons have lots of problems with the drag cog falling out and the spool coming off unless you religiously pull off the spool and tighten the end cap for the drag. I have seen this happen on reels I had or friends prolly 3-4 times.

Also had another friends brand new remix handle snap off while fighting his first bonefish.

The lamsons are really light weight thought.

Since most glass rods are a touch heavier you might look for a reel with a touch more weight to balance the added weight of a glass rod. The wife uses a lamson on a 7wt, since it’s so light and one time in a pinch I put it on a glass rod and the balance was totally wrong for me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. To my pleasant surprise, the C Barcaly 777 seems light(ish) in the hand. Perhaps an older abel big game no. 2

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love my Lamson reels. I have experience with two generations of the Litespeed 4. The Micra 5 is a solid reel that feels much beefier than previous versions. Customer service is the best. The only issue to be aware of is that water will get into the clutch bearing if the reel goes under water often. The bearing cage started to show corrosion. A quick email to Lamson and they sent me a replacement. The LS is so lite that you should look at the next size up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use a Pate Bonefish on my #6 glass rod. You can find used Pate's for less than $300 if you shop around and it'll last you a lifetime. I'm not a big fan of glass rods out on the flats, but a decent glass #6 or #7 is a great mangrove rod for snook and small tarpon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts