Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with experience running 16-17’ skiffs in the lower laguna Madre?
How does it handle the wind, open bay ? Any close calls? I recognize the flats fit this style but it takes a run to get to those flats.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Anyone with experience running 16-17’ skiffs in the lower laguna Madre?
How does it handle the wind, open bay ? Any close calls? I recognize the flats fit this style but it takes a run to get to those flats.
Easier run to the skinny flats in a micro out of Port Mansfield, Arroyo or Port Isabel?

·
Registered
341 Posts
16' out of corpus christi fishing the upper Laguna madre. Know where you're running and how you plan on getting there. Running protected water and avoiding large areas of deeper water you can run a skiff most days. I can run in 30mph winds as long as I plan accordingly.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
811 Posts
Hold on. You’ve said Corpus Christi, Lower Laguna, and cross the bay in the same thread. What area are you asking about as Corpus isn’t close to the lower laguna and there are several bays around some of which you certainly wouldn’t cross in the wind.

·
Registered
163 Posts
2 hrs south of corpus, you can run them both places. gets rough in front of harbor in mansfield when wind is over 15. try not to burn all the shore lines but you can get around either place just use common sense. mouth of baffin gets ugly too but that is other side of the land cut from you. review your maps or google earth,you will sort it out

·
Registered
163 Posts
depends on conditions but pay attention to wind and deep water, never plow into waves, always quarter and bow up enough or you will fill the cockpit... good luck gods country down here. give people plenty of space and watch out for bubba. he will be in air boat or tower burn boat and scare very damn fish in the country as he runs between you and the bank while you are poling with his 20000 watt stereo thumpin.... just wait

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your right boat size of flats boat increased , horse power increased , they can all run fast and shallow and will not pay attention to their wake or your fishing spot but that seems the new normal. I wonder better just get a bigger boat so I’m not risking safety

·
Registered
116 Posts
PM like mentioned before you have to pick your days leaving or coming back to port mansfield as it gets very choppy, other than that many of the people I have seen with skiffs run out of Arroyo or SPI. There are 2 skiffs always parked inside PM but I have not met them as of now.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2 Posts
If I was running out of Mansfield regularly Id want something atleast about 17ft. Hells bay professional or chittums are what the guides run down there. Maverick hpxt is a popular skiff as well. I’ve been with Ben pascal in his professional in some less than ideal conditions heading back into port and it handled it well until the push pole popped out and we had to stop in 3 foot waves to get it but it was never unsafe and we never took much over the bow. In a smaller skiff that doesn’t take the chop as well it could’ve been really sketchy but it was blowing over 20.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks , I know what you mean about waves outside the port that can be pretty rough. I have not seen people running the Hells bay there however appreciate the advise on minimum boat length.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is the length on an hpx-t ? I know South Padre across the bay is deeper and waves can increase with strong winds. Do you mainly run up over the sand when going north? Seems you are able to get around without getting risky. Is the boat wet when you run with wind?

·
Registered
761 Posts
It’s 17. I’ll run the east side most of the time it’s windy out of Mansfield, or SPI. Only time it gets really wet is with a cross/quartering wind, other than that, the spray rails do their job pretty well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts