• Somewhere else

Votes: 7 77.8%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening everyone,

Need some quick advice. Buddy and myself are making our first Lousiana trip next weekend. Fishing Saturday thru Tuesday. Making a 900 mile trek one way. I know extended weather forecast are unreliable but with big winter systems they do seem to be more accurate. Due to our reservations contract I have to make a decision tomorrow to cancel or not. From what I can see the forecast looks like it will not be doable according to the Windy app and other sources. This will be our first DIY trip down. Just looking for opinions of those with experience in the area. Also, will this completely mess up the bite and water clarity for the week? Thanks.

View attachment 190220
Water Ecoregion Plant Liquid Organism

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,637 Posts
Fly fishing with what skiff? Big water or small? Usually fish able in any wind direction. Water level and visibility are more important. Relatively good conditions in La now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@sjrobin HPX-S. I’m seeing 20kts+ Out of SE all day next Saturday and 30-40kts+ out of the north all day Sunday. So end up with very dirty low water Sunday and Monday from the way I understand things work down there. I can’t see beyond sundays forecast. Weather this week is perfect of course

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,983 Posts
I'm with @Zika on this one. The trip will be fun but the fishing will likely be painfully slow. The runs tend to be pretty long and with that wind, you'll for sure want to stay on the inside for sure. Even then, there is always some open water to cross. I'm not saying it might not be good, but odds are, it'll be blown out. One thing to keep in mind for the wind forecasts down there, is that the actual weather stations used for the 'end of the world' forecasts are usually 20-30 miles away so when you get way out in the Biloxi marsh, there always seems to be more wind. If you have fished the area before and are familiar with some spots where you can get out the wind some and find some decent water, then two thumbs up. If this is essentially a blind DIY trip, I'd reconsider rescheduling if it isn't too big of a deal to set it up for a later date. The weather is always a gamble when planning trips.

Let me add this, a good satellite mapping chip is hugely helpful when finding spots on the inside to fish. Oh, one other thing, I'm assuming you are fly fishing. If you are chunking lures and/or soaking bait, go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm with @Zika on this one. The trip will be fun but the fishing will likely be painfully slow. The runs tend to be pretty long and with that wind, you'll for sure want to stay on the inside for sure. Even then, there is always some open water to cross. I'm not saying it might not be good, but odds are, it'll be blown out. One thing to keep in mind for the wind forecasts down there, is that the actual weather stations used for the 'end of the world' forecasts are usually 20-30 miles away so when you get way out in the Biloxi marsh, there always seems to be more wind. If you have fished the area before and are familiar with some spots where you can get out the wind some and find some decent water, then two thumbs up. If this is essentially a blind DIY trip, I'd reconsider rescheduling if it isn't too big of a deal to set it up for a later date. The weather is always a gamble when planning trips.

Let me add this, a good satellite mapping chip is hugely helpful when finding spots on the inside to fish. Oh, one other thing, I'm assuming you are fly fishing. If you are chunking lures and/or soaking bait, go.

You are correct, we wanted to pole and throw flies when at all possible. Ive been given some good advice and we will have good satellite charts. But it looks like we are going to probably reschedule as the forecast continues to get worse. It is our first diy trip to nola. Appreciate the input. Yeah I’m not driving down to soak bait that’s for sure

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,983 Posts
You are correct, we wanted to pole and throw flies when at all possible. Ive been given some good advice and we will have good satellite charts. But it looks like we are going to probably reschedule as the forecast continues to get worse. It is our first diy trip to nola. Appreciate the input. Yeah I’m not driving down to soak bait that’s for sure
Where were ya'll planning to fish? NOLA area or down Delacroix or Hopedale area? I fished La 3 times last year. Had a blast all 3 times but the Sportsman's paradise/redfish capitol of the World has not be kind to me. I'm heading back late Jan early Feb and then again mid March. I have a bunch of friends out there and its only 6 hour drive pulling my skiff.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I am with Zika and Jay on this one. Was planning the same trip next week end and will decide against it if weather stays the same. I am only 7 hours out so easier to re arrange. For accommodations, it will be whatever we can find on short notice, probably not as ideal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
GO... We went and did our first trip in a 17 Mitzi, and conditions were miserable. Wind, spitting rain, hardly any sun. We did catch a break one day but we fully intended the trip to be fly only and we just threw the nuke sticks and popping corks. Still one of the best trips. Worst part of the trip to LA is the roads lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GO... We went and did our first trip in a 17 Mitzi, and conditions were miserable. Wind, spitting rain, hardly any sun. We did catch a break one day but we fully intended the trip to be fly only and we just threw the nuke sticks and popping corks. Still one of the best trips. Worst part of the trip to LA is the roads lol
Y’all still caught fish? This is the kind of info I’m looking for. People who don’t get much time off to take trips like this who still decided to tough it out in bad conditions and if it was worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
900 miles one way? I wouldn't drive 9 miles to fish that front. I'm not a big fan of fishing out of Hopedale anyway but it's especially miserable with heavy north winds.
Noted. How low will the water be after sustained north wind like that? And how dirty. I’ve seen you comment lots of times on hopedale threads and seem to have plenty of experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am with Zika and Jay on this one. Was planning the same trip next week end and will decide against it if weather stays the same. I am only 7 hours out so easier to re arrange. For accommodations, it will be whatever we can find on short notice, probably not as ideal.
Yeah we will probably reschedule or cancel as the time, effort and money invested just does not make sense to have shit weather.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
192 Posts
Ive gone down there twice on long trips (similar distance) with forecasts that look like that. Shouldve learned my lesson after the first mistake. Caught a few but definitely wasnt worth the time and effort. I had fished the area before as well, and have a guide buddy who works out of there who was helping with logistics given the weather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive gone down there twice on long trips (similar distance) with forecasts that look like that. Shouldve learned my lesson after the first mistake. Caught a few but definitely wasnt worth the time and effort. I had fished the area before as well, and have a guide buddy who works out of there who was helping with logistics given the weather.
Appreciate the experience based insight. We will be rescheduling most likely

1 - 20 of 47 Posts