Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,001 Posts
1. Nobody needs to catch and keep 25 trout.
2. The 12" lower length limit is nuts. There isn't enough meat on that little fish to bother filleting it.
JMHO
I prefer the small trout to eat. The larger ones taste fishy.
Louisiana wildlife n fisheries trout current limits r 25 per day 12" minimum, redfish/drum 5 day 16" minimum.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
It's been interesting. I don't know enough about spec fishing to really have an opinion but if you listen to the loudest people it's an odd situation. You got a bunch of people saying they will just sell their boats and quit fishing and on the other hand the guides seem to be alright with having to do less work.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
It's been interesting. I don't know enough about spec fishing to really have an opinion but if you listen to the loudest people it's an odd situation. You got a bunch of people saying they will just sell their boats and quit fishing and on the other hand the guides seem to be alright with having to do less work.
Maybe that’s what needs to happen...meat haulers can sell their boats and go play golf.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
I just don't get why people don't get that they can fish all they want. Just can keep as many any more. This is the mindset that has to change. Although, if they want to sell their boats and stop fishing, that will also have a very positive effect.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I just don't get why people don't get that they can fish all they want
Look at it through the lens of a Louisiana coastal angler. They are already being squeezed out of the marsh and now they want to reduce the limits. The deep water manmade canals that have been hot spots for spec fisherman for half a century are slowly being gated.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Look at it through the lens of a Louisiana coastal angler. They are already being squeezed out of the marsh and now they want to reduce the limits. The deep water manmade canals that have been hot spots for spec fisherman for half a century are slowly being gated.
It’s not about feelings, it’s about the resource.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
I hear the same thing from a lot of guys here in Texas. Doesn't change the fact that the fish stocks are way down. The only thing the Fish and Game departments can regulate is bag limits. Make changes now to have fish for the future generations.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
There is some debate around the stock assessment. That's why some people are angry.
I have two stock answers to that topic.
1. Determining biomass is a very difficult thing to do. We should always err on the conservative side. Look no further than the striped bass fishery in the Chesapeake Bay. The experts kept saying things were fine. And overnight it crashed.
2. Nobody needs to kill 25 fish even if you are feeding your family. I get a kick out of the idiots who say they will sell their boat blah blah blah. Are you kidding me? When you are driving a 24 ft bay boat around don't tell me you need to feed your family. LOL Please do sell your boat. You will actually be able to feed your family much better than paying to have and operate a boat.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agree with above. That is the biggest crock that people say. You don’t buy a boat and go fishing to feed your family. It’s cheaper to go buy white bread and peanut butter and jelly if you are trying to feed your family. Keeping A 12” trout is ridiculous. You can’t even get any meat off of it.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Agree with above. That is the biggest crock that people say. You don’t buy a boat and go fishing to feed your family. It’s cheaper to go buy white bread and peanut butter and jelly if you are trying to feed your family. Keeping A 12” trout is ridiculous. You can’t even get any meat off of it.
But they fry em whole baw!!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,061 Posts
There is some debate around the stock assessment. That's why some people are angry.
I’m sure there is but my discussions with a lot of LA folks left me to think they wouldn’t believe a study no matter what.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
I’m sure there is but my discussions with a lot of LA folks left me to think they wouldn’t believe a study no matter what.
My ******* bro in law never cracked the first book but he somehow works at Cheniere LNG and was a copper there. Dude could fish but talked like Boomhower on King of the Hill. Fry em whole, eat the fins and all son!

·
Registered
243 Posts
My thoughts on the subject as lifetime Louisiana resident.....

1. A 12" speckled trout is a fine tasting fish nugget.

B. @jay.bush1434 is right; the mindset of the typical Louisiana angler needs to change. Anyone over 30 years old is old enough to have heard of the stories of the "good ol' days" before limits where people used to measure trips by numbers of ice chests filled, not numbers of fish kept. Obviously things are not what they once were and regulations need to change.

$. Speaking of regulation changes, I think the last time they were revised was back in the 80's. How many anglers have increased over the years, and how have boats changed in the last 30 years? The number of boats with such a far range has greatly changed.

5. Almost everyone I know that fishes for speckled trout says they aren't catching them like they used to. Again, so obviously something needs to change.

F. The last decade has been a very wet one. That doesn't help our speckled trout fishery.

7. People are going to bitch and complain no matter what. They may say they aren't going to fish anymore, or won't do a guided trip because "it's not worth the money" but that's B.S. Nothing will change with that respect. They're just running their mouths.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Almost everyone I know that fishes for speckled trout says they aren't catching them like they used to. Again, so obviously something needs to change.
The "good ole days" were also artificially inflated by the dredging of oil & gas canals. They were deep direct lines to the saltwater gulf. Specs stacked up in them and got slaughtered. My dad and his brothers have pictures of boats full to the gunwales with 3 pound trout with the trailer visible in the background. Then came the netters and we all know how that turned out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts