Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Options, not sure what you are asking.. the options are the same as with any other boat.
I use a 12' and/or a 14' push pole on my canoe, kayak, or SUP, in water up to say 4', the 12 is to short (MPO) if the water is more than 2' consistent depth.

There are some 8-12' options on the market, but 8 is just to short and most of these are thin, like 3/4", and not comfortable in the hands when poling. 8' is ok as a stakeout pole if the water depth is 5' or 6' deep, and maybe as a short term pole in 1' to 2' depths.

MPO, I don't like the poles that are adjustable length, that adjust'er just seems to be in the way when sliding/walking you hands up/down the pole.

There are 2 piece poles, (ex. MoonLighter, or Stiffy) that serve well on the SUP although they are a little heavier than a 1 piece pole, they are much easier to manage on the SUP when not in use.

I'd suggest a full size/diameter pole for general use. Mine are 2 piece fiberglass, you could go with Hybrid or Graphite material. I had a 14' graphite one-piece pole, the weight is less, but I did not like that it had a tendency to float in water deeper than 2' and felt like it just too more effort to use on the SUP/Canoe than the extra weight of the fiberglass pole. Rememner when you are paddling that pole has to stow somewhere.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is exactly what I was looking for. I’m looking at the multi piece Stiffy in 14 or 15’.

I’d prefer something I can break down and throw in the bed of the pickup.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I built a Mangrove carbon fiber push pole that I use with my canoe. I added a Stiffy two piece connection kit so I can break it down and carry it on my roof rack with the boat. I know most prefer a short push pole on a paddlecraft, but mine is about 18'. Breaks down small enough to fit in the canoe when I get in tight spots, but it's much more efficient when actually poling.

upload_2019-2-28_9-52-13.png

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I built a Mangrove carbon fiber push pole that I use with my canoe. I added a Stiffy two piece connection kit so I can break it down and carry it on my roof rack with the boat. I know most prefer a short push pole on a paddlecraft, but mine is about 18'. Breaks down small enough to fit in the canoe when I get in tight spots, but it's much more efficient when actually poling.

View attachment 62596
Very dump question. When you use the power pole, how to you make sure the wind and current don't push the kayak around?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Very dump question. When you use the power pole, how to you make sure the wind and current don't push the kayak around?
On a bigger boat you get 2 power poles
On a kayak I suppose an anchor and the stake out pole would keep you planted

1 pivot point will make you go the way the wind or tide wants you

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tailer, like that mud foot, wher'd ya get it ?
I shaped it from a buttonwood fork.

You can use your push pole to position the boat. I stake out first and then swing the boat into position and drop the power pole like below.

View attachment 62756

·
I Love microskiff.com!
347 Posts
I shaped it from a buttonwood fork.

You can use your push pole to position the boat. I stake out first and then swing the boat into position and drop the power pole like below.

View attachment 62756
@Tailer - be careful! That dude at 3:00 is sketchy looking. I think he has bad intentions.

@brokeoff - I just got a 14.75 foot Mangrove from Carbon Marine. It's a 3 piece pole, but seems very adequate for poling my Skanu. It doesn't break down, but I really like the overall length and think it is something to consider.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it looks like I'm going to grab an 18' modular push pole and an anchor wizard to attach near the front.

How does one actually stake out? I want to figure this out before ordering stuff. Do I need a bar to lash the pole to?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I seldom stake out for long, usually just to make a cast or two at tailing fish.. when poling the SUP I turn it (push pole) around pointy end towards bottom and stick her in, then I have a length of line I keep wrapped around my waist like a belt with a slip knot and about 18" of free tag end, couple quick wraps around pole with a half hitch does the trick...

Tailer, how was the fit with that Stiffy ferule in the CF pole ?
FYI, the CF pole I did not like, floated to high, was a Mangrove pole.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use a ~4' dock line with a loop in both ends. One end is secured to the boat (I use the seat in my canoe) and the other end I figure-eight around the push pole foot. You can see the setup in the pic below, taken while waiting on the tide in Biscayne Bay this weekend.

StakeOut.jpg

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have big tides (8 - 12') and I'll fish solo mostly and on the fly always. So I'd like to be able to pole into place, get set up, fish, then move to a deeper flat.

Also, while I do see some feeding fish, the majority are cruising. So I think to start it will be far more productive to set up in a travel corridor and cast to incoming fish. That's what I do now and I get better shots than when I'm on the move wading at a snails pace.

I think I've figured out how to stake out.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I picked up the L4Expedition and a 19 ft push pole. One last question. Can I use the push pole as a paddle for very short distances? I'm wondering if I can cross 50' wide channels just using the pole.

Then I wouldn't need to lug a paddle along as well.

·
Registered
663 Posts
4E9F3952-4805-4A5A-8A24-4171948CB209.jpeg
I use a ~4' dock line with a loop in both ends. One end is secured to the boat (I use the seat in my canoe) and the other end I figure-eight around the push pole foot. You can see the setup in the pic below, taken while waiting on the tide in Biscayne Bay this weekend.

View attachment 63838
I edited your photo in Adobe because it was screaming “black and white” to me. Nice shot.

·
Registered
619 Posts
So, I picked up the L4Expedition and a 19 ft push pole. One last question. Can I use the push pole as a paddle for very short distances? I'm wondering if I can cross 50' wide channels just using the pole.

Then I wouldn't need to lug a paddle along as well.
Yes it will work for that purpose... I do it all the time in the canoe when crossing channels, its not very efficient but works. I do carry a paddle also though for making distance while sitting on my cooler or traversing mangrove tunnels and creeks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts