Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The missus and I have decided to take a trip to the keys in mid April. After a 2 year engagement we’re finally gonna get hitched. Looking for somewhere reasonable to stay with close access to a ramp. Planning to kayak fish for a couple of days and hire a guide for a day. A friend of ours has a place in Big Pine and we may stay there or Cudjoe. Looking for recommendations. TIA.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I like ramrod/cudjoe area. Yu can go south or north and decent fishing. Don’t forget to eat at Cuban place in winn Dixie plaza and get the whole fried yellowtail if they have it, if not the Tampico steak is awesome as well. Five brothers makes great breakfast sandwiches

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bahia Honda State Park has condos for rent for a good price. The downside is that they book up almost as fast as they become available. Sometimes you can catch a cancellation. Fishing Big Pine and Bahia Honda is excellent in April and I have fished it in both kayaks and boats. On my Youtube channel I have 4 videos that talk about fishing the area and things to do. Here is one of them:

There is another State Park called Curry Hammock. They have kayak trails there, good bone fish flats and canals you can fish if the wind is up. Another suggestion is to take the high speed ferry to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. Make reservations for this well in advance because it books up fast.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and I wish you many happy years!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Viking. I really wanna catch some bonefish. On the fly if possible . Never caught any or been anywhere to fish for them. Our kayaks are built to stand up and fish and work well. Except for when the wind blows

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yeah I was in marathon and big pine a lot last April and it was pretty windy. Its hard to find great places to stay on big pine and cudjoe because of the 28 day VRBO limit. Theres a hotel on Big Pine, but its definitely not a romantic getaway. Marathon has a 7 day limit and rentals are alot more available. There is a cool place in Marathon for baby tarpon that is no motor only and out of the wind. Theres a ramp on Blimp road that is close enough to some good flats for a kayak.

I also have stayed at The Perry in Key west and it wasn't that expensive in April for being really nice, which is only like 20 minutes from the above stated ramp.

·
Registered
2019 Salt Marsh Heron 16
583 Posts
Reactions: stussing

·
I Love microskiff.com!
17 Posts
the content keys off of big pine should be full of bones...it will be windy, but unless it NW, you should be fine!
if you want to come further north to Islamorada area i can recommend a few really good guides.

for a place to stay on a honeymoon? anyplace but Marathon (partially) and Key West are going to roll up the streets at 9pm, so if your looking for things to actually do Key West is your spot. lots of nice hotels down there, or look on airbnb/vrbo...be careful with the rip offs on craigslist....

just as an FYI, Irma's eye went over Cudjoe Key, its still messed up if you get off US-1...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks captjohn. We use Home Away and have found a couple of places. Don’t mind driving a bit for a guide trip. As time gets closer I may PM you for guide recommendations. Not too concerned about the night life. I can barely stay up past 8 anymore

·
Registered
839 Posts
Lots of options in April. And depending on weather a drive one way or the other on US1 and you can be out of the wind/elements. I fish anywhere from Biscayne Bay down to isla morada. If I can be of any assistance feel free to reach out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.