Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Keys Budget Food - Help

5K views 54 replies 28 participants last post by  Fisher69 
#1 ·
Looking for everyone’s favorite easy meals while fishing and camping to maximize time poling/casting. Also, cheapest spots in the Keys for quick grab deli sandos, breakfast tacos, anything low budget..

Spending 6 weeks camping / Airbnb and fly fishing all over upper and middle keys from my 16’ action craft.

Cold pizza and beer is my go-to for a day or two, but we’ll need some variety past that.

Non perishables, purchased-cooked (like Publix fried chicken), cooking in bulk for easy leftovers, or utilizing free mango snappers are all priorities.

What is your go-to on a budget?

#9 ·
Here’s a couple ideas if you’re going to camp a few days the hit the Airbnb a few days rotation.

Smoke a pork butt and a couple chickens before you go and freeze in portion sized ziplocks. That should get you through a camping rotation or two. Then at the Airbnb make up/freeze foil dinners as suggested. You might get lucky and get an Abnb with a charcoal grill you could smoke another butt on an off day. If you wind up with a gas grill you can do up chickens easily enough.

You can also make up/freeze breakfast and lunch burritos at the Abnb.

Dont be afraid of campfire cooking. Take a grill grate and you have the perfect opportunity for steaks, burgers, hotdogs/brats. Pretty limitless actually. If it fits your schedule.

#20 ·
I bought a small, portable gas grill when I was working and camping for an entire summer. You know the type, they pack up about 18" long, propane cylinder fits inside with the turner and tongs. I cooked supper on it every night. Steaks, chicken, burgers, fish, brats. It was way better than restaurant food, and way more relaxing!

#22 ·
@Jason La Forest sounds like an awesome trip. You need to document your exploits so we can see how it's going and what your catching. I wish I did something like this when I was young but there where no Publix back then. Now I think camping is staying in a Holiday Inn Express

#24 ·
Lots of really great info/ideas on here. I do a fair amount of backcountry/outdoor cooking for work, and I'll say this: just like in a restaurant kitchen, prep work is key. Plan a menu and snacks, then do all the cooking/mixing/marinating/portioning/freezing you can before your trip. Even just removing excess packaging (boxes that contain a bag, bagged stuff that can be put into a smaller ziploc) will make your life easier. Also: a vacuum sealer is a game changer for all of the above, plus it keeps things from leaking or getting waterlogged in your cooler. You'll find it's useful for non-food outdoor stuff too; I like to vacuum seal tools, spares, and emergency items that I'm unlikely to need. It stays absolutely dry and compressed and is easy to organize.

#34 ·
All kinds of superstitions, some have known origins, some not.
1. Bananas were thought to be bad luck because of banana spiders. Spiders would be in a shipment of bananas and their bite was considered deadly, so early mariners wouldn't take a shipment of bananas.
2. Bananas float. Floating bananas were considered a sign of shipwreck, thus bad luck.
3. Bananas ripen quickly. Boats hauling bananas rarely carried other fruits because the gasses given off by bananas caused other fruits to ripen prematurely and spoil. Bad luck
4. Since bananas ripened so quickly, boats had to move fast with no stopping. Fast with no stopping meant no fishing for the sailors. Bad mojo

I have too much time on my hands

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.