Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoghts on places to stay/camp in and around Key West in Feb. 2020? My brother was looking at Boyd's Campground. We'll be taking a kayak and are looking to do some inshore fly fishing. Any input will help out greatly. Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Last year I camped at Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge, which is a ways up from Key West. A few years before that we did a camping trip from Key West to the Dry Tortugas. Both were fun, I think for kayak fishing you would find more sheltered waters further up the keys than KW. Bahia Honda State Park is popular and books up early but you are far enough out that you can probably get a site there and it would be quieter and more scenic than BPKFL. My experience was that you really need to plan for lots of wind that time of year.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last year I camped at Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge, which is a ways up from Key West. A few years before that we did a camping trip from Key West to the Dry Tortugas. Both were fun, I think for kayak fishing you would find more sheltered waters further up the keys than KW. Bahia Honda State Park is popular and books up early but you are far enough out that you can probably get a site there and it would be quieter and more scenic than BPKFL. My experience was that you really need to plan for lots of wind that time of year.
Thanks, that gives me some food for thought. Thanks also for reminding me about the wind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts