Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have many kenner owners on here? I've got an 18v-90 that I've had since 2001. She's been great to me.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Had a friend who had a Kenner dealership in Louisiana at one point. From what I understand they were pretty good boats.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, long story, very popular. Bass Pro bought them in ~2003, cost reduced them until quality went bad and then dropped the line. There is a Maako 18'6" model they sell that looks to use the outside hull mold from the original Kenner 18V series. Bill Kenner and sons now run K2marine. The one I have the 18V-90 was considered to be the "bay boat for the fisherman on a budget". Weren't fancy but a great shallow, smooth, dry ride in a choppy bay. That rolled edge and Vee in front helps a lot.

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,522 Posts
Ran a 15 pro skiff tunnel with a 'rude jet outboard for a few years.
Tough little skiff. From the reefs of Bicayne National Park to the mud flats of Florida Bay
put me onto a lot of fish in places that most boats just couldn't get to.

·
Registered
533 Posts
K2 Marine builds Blackjack Boats. Didn’t realize that until I looked into it. There’s a few around here where I live. Pretty badass boats.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 19 pro skiff tunnel with a 90 2-stroke yamaha in Tampa. Still learning how to best use the boat after moving up from a micro. Been great so far.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
I would buy an older Kenner in a heartbeat. I always like that they were simple liner boats with no frills. I've never ridden on one but I imagine it rides as well as any 18 foot bay boat.

·
will pole for food
963 Posts

here’s my kenner (bruh)...mostly a transport vessel, but we fish a little bit out of her too. Pretty lines, but they come with a price..being some decent hull slap.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,244 Posts
'01 Kenner Nitro 2200 rolled edge tunnel hull. I-Pilot 80, Power Poles, poling platform, 2017 Mercury 150 4-stroke.(Third outboard on boat). I've fished it from NC to Florida, 8" of water to 25 miles offshore. A great and irreplaceable boat. Got a buddy looking for one now. Hard to find and not cheap when you do.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have the Mako version of that boat (as you know). The outer hull itself is fine aside from some cosmetic issues that need to be dealt with. The interior "ok", I don't like the hatches very much and "dry" storage is hardly that. Self bailing only when running, if my son and I (200 & 240 lbs) are fishing front and back it's nothing to have an inch of water in the boat. A scupper plug takes care of that until I can install my ping pong ball scupper. It handles rough water well and is a drier ride than I expected. I bought it on an impulse buy and do wish I would've actually handle more self control but it is what it is now and now that I have my motor issues resolved I am enjoying it just fine. I've learned a lot about all things related to the boat and hopefully when I am ready to move on it can be sold to someone else looking to either get into or back into boating & fishing like me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do we have many kenner owners on here? I've got an 18v-90 that I've had since 2001. She's been great to me.
I've owned a few. Had a 19 vision, a 210 Frontier (K2 Marine by Bill Kenner) and currently an old 24v that I restored. I love the Kenner boats! Several of my fishing buddies all have various versions of restored 24v. Bill Kenner makes a great boat.

Like others said, quality went down once old kenner brand was sold to Bass Pro. Still a great hull if you can find one.

New here....how do you post pics? Has to be web-based?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Back in the 90s I owned a 17 ft proskiff w/ tunnel. I found an old Hewes polling platform and mounted and poled it all over Flamingo, keys, mosquito lagoon. I lived in Tampa and fished Tarpon Springs frequently. I had a livewell and mounted a high speed pick up on it when fishing with white bait also had a TM in the bow. Tough boat and had no problems even though it had wood transom and stringers. Great all purpose, inexpensive work horse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts