Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While this isn't "micro" I figured some of you would like to see this project since you are boat addicts.  Plus, this is a shallow drafting 18' boat - I actually fish this thing pretty skinny.

I mentioned in my Beavertail thread that one of the reasons I chose the "new to me" B2 was that is gave me some left over cash in my budget to redo my 18' v-hull, center console.  Well here she is.

I got this back in 2007 from the first owner.  He was a salty old guy that loved to fish, but just couldn't anymore due to his age.  He had priced this boat way too low at the time ($4,500), and I was the first to call him.  He said he got about 20 calls that day and realized his price was too low, but he'd honor it because he liked me and my brother (we talked about our grandfather taking us fishing and how much he was to blame for our obsession).  After we closed the deal, he asked us to treat her right and have a great time using her.  That thought has always stuck with me.

The first weekend with the boat we caught fish non-stop.  Couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces.  The boat pretty much paid for itself that weekend.  I lost my grandfather that same year and think about the man that sold me the boat often.  It holds some sentimental value to me and my brothers, not just from that, but also from all the great times we've had on it.

Which leads me to the restore.  This is a great hull that takes the chop, has enough room, and has a shallow draft.  It can handle the water my B2 can't.  Plus, I do a lot of lake fishing here too, which this is a perfect boat for.  I had a list of things I've always thought about doing if I got the chance.  So I made a good shopping list and scouted a few experts in the area and got quotes.  I had a budget in mind with electronics and tried to keep to it (more on that later).

The must haves were:  carpet removal, interior gel coat, new upholstery, fly rod holders, plug all holes in console and gel coat, leaning post, new trolling motor, new GPS/sounder combo, hull sand and buff, new gauges.

But before we get into all that, here's her state before the work started.

And here is the beginning of the project.

And here is one of my favorites so far - I call this one "Breaking Blue" since it reminds me of Breaking Bad and I am doing the boat in ice blue:

I'll post more soon - boat is off the trailer and getting the exterior done this week.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Awesome project man!! I am really considering and looking for a bigger boat for me, the wife and kids (of course keep my small boat for the hardcore fishing). And after all the boats I look at, Kenner seems to have my most attention. Cant wait to see what you do with this baby!!!

·
will pole for food
886 Posts
love these boats! Certain years of this boat are sought after in my area. They don't last too long on the market. Looks like a great start to get her back in shape. Not going to lie, picturing that soft carpet under my toes felt pretty good! ...I would've removed it too though. Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are definitely a tried and true hull. I actually consider cutting a tunnel in it and getting a jack plate, but that was a bit too ambitious.

Yeah, the carpet is nice on the feet, but it is down right oogly and holds a lot of moisture. It is very expensive to finish the cockpit into a smooth surface, but they are going to do what they can, then we are going to do a light blue splatter. I am not a huge fan of splatter, so I've asked to go sparing.

More than likely, I'll be adding SeaDek to the main stepping spots. Definitely a helm pad, then a bow pad. I need to look at the size and price it out. I don't want to do the entire boat though.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a few more pictures.  Here is the hull getting sprayed:

And here is the stern which is in great shape:

I am doing the ice blue on the outside as well.  And here is the leaning post that will be replacing the bulky, cooler seat that was useless while driving:

The leaning post was custom built by Pro-Line Aluminum, the fabrication company owned with New Water Boats, the maker of the Stilt, Ibis and Curlew:

New Water Boats (check out the Stilt if you haven't seen it)
http://www.newwaterboatworks.com

Pro Line Aluminum
http://www.prolinealum.com

·
Stripper in my own Mind!
2,538 Posts
Is that the same hull that they are still producing? Still going to be a sweet all around rig when your finished..

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2009 was the last year Kenner was made.  I believe they were bought by Tracker around 1999 or 2000, which they changed the style of the boat mainly on the inside. The hull remained the same for the most part.

The pre-Tracker boats are regarded as better models.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More progress - the outside is sprayed, wet sanded, and gel coated.  I have to admit, I was very impressed seeing how good this turned out.  Exceeded expectations.

Love the stern shot - especially the bend from the side to the stern - you can see how good the finish is.

And the console is ready for the same.  There were TONS of holes in the console, thanks to my brother and his drill.  It took them extra effort to get everything filled, but it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And here is the custom fly rod tube they made for me:

This is not finished - he's going to round the top off and glass it in. This will allow me to trailer with the fly rods and not worry about the tips flapping around while running.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet restore! Is Kenner a splashed pathfinder? Looks exactly the same as a 1806v or 1900 v
Not that I am aware of or ever heard. I've seen the Pathfinder's in person and they are similar, but I never once thought it was the same hull.

The Kenner got the inside glassed this week. Final rigging is next. I should have some more pics up this weekend.

·
2008 Gordon Waterman 16
145 Posts
Very nice, I guess this is the way to get your second horse in the barn. Certainly can be justified to the wife, will allow us to fish twice as much. I just have to get the first horse.

Thanks, nice work.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's progress from this week.  The interior color came out good - it's definitely blue.  The console came out better than I had hoped for.  Now I am really reluctant to put any holes in it.  :)

This week is final rigging.  I am hoping to have her back by Friday.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
797 Posts
Boat looks awesome and I love the color. Just the color alone make it feeler cooler on a hot day.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting closer, but not quite there yet.  It will be early next week now.  It's the little details now that start to come up - rigging choices, fit and finish of parts.  Bryan at McNeil Marine has done a good job of giving me my options, but I tend to gravitate towards the one that costs a bit more and ads a little more work.  But we are narrowed down to the final decisions.

Trolling motor, leaning post, upholstery and the hamby's keel guard got installed.  Hopefully the next post has the finished product.  She's definitely going to be one of a kind.

Console came out great:

Here are the fly rod holders with the custom tip protector they built for me:

And the leaning post:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, here she is.  I'd say she's about 95% done.  Sorry for the delay, I've actually been out on the water fishing her the past 2 weeks.  The stripers, hybrids and whites are running right now and the water temp is right at 69 - 70, so it's prime time action.  Also, the carp are schooling up for the spawn, so poor mans permit and bonefish training is in progress.

So far I am very happy with the boat.  Not only is it so much more streamlined for fly fishing, but it came out looking brand new.  Deciding to refinish the outside made a huge difference on the look of the boat.  Same on patching and refinishing the console. 

That's not me with the dirty mustache.  That's my buddy Bpolish.  I made him put down a deposit before driving it.

I still need to get the new switches installed, get a new steering wheel cap, pop up cleats, and shore up some of the upholstery work, but what is done has already impressed me and my buddies.  Here are the big hits so far:
  • Hamby's keel guard - not only did it hide a lot of the scuffs, but I have no worries beaching it, which is common in the lakes in my area.
  • Under the bow LED lights.  No more pop up nav light to get in the way, and the new lights make the boat more aggressive looking.
  • Under the bow batteries rigged for 24 volts, complete with onboard charger and quick access plug for easy charging.  Makes the next item even better.
  • 70lb thrust Minn Kota salt water trolling motor with I-Pilot.  The 24 volt system is a huge improvement, but the real upgrade is the I-Pilot feature.  It is like having an extra mate on the boat.  Spot lock has turned out to the priceless.  I've been using it with the next item....
  • Raymarine Dragonfly 7" widescreen sounder/GPS with CHIRP.  While I do a lot of sight casting fly fishing, there are times when I need to find the fish that are suspended and go with a heavy sink line.  Finding fish and then hitting the spot lock on the Minn Kota has been worth their weight in gold.  We pulled 30 fish up from 10' - 20' last weekend by doing this.  Can't wait to use this when searching for tarpon at the coast.
  • Custom fly rod holders - the starboard side has a custom tip protector that holds 4 rods.
  • Leaning post with storage, foot rest, and 3 cup holders.  The cup holders speak for themselves, obviously.  But the storage underneath the seat has proven useful.  Overall, it is just more comfortable while driving and taking a load off your feet.
Again, I am WAY satisfied with the work McNeil Marine did here in Austin on this boat.  Bryan guided me through the entire process and gave me pros, cons with alternatives to EVERYTHING we did on the boat.  Not only that, but he was honest and transparent with the pricing.  And if something didn't come out the way he liked it - he redid it and told me.  Highly recommended if you are in this area and are considering any type of marine work.

Thanks for humoring me on this post and coming along for the ride.  I'll post once I get a few more things done and it's 99% done.  I don't think any boat is ever 100% done - that's the fun of owning them.

Tights lines,

Coconut

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great looking boat man!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts