Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound basic and elementary but what kind of maintenance routines and products do you guys do keep your skiffs in tip top shape. Getting close to pulling the trigger on a new skiff so wanted to get an idea of what I should be doing.

In my family most of the boats have been “beaters” so maintenance is basically a wash after use and flush the engine. We do a yearly maintenance on the engine and grease up the trailer bearings but otherwise nothing special.

Some of you guys’ whips look spectacular wanted to know what the secret was lol.

thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I’m interested as well. Right now I basically wash and flush after each use, dry exterior and interior hatches, garage storage with the hatches left open, followed by annual motor service and waxing the hull. I want this sucker to look new as long as possible.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We’ve never waxed our boat so this is a once a year thing? Also interested in what should be done for anticorrosion both for fittings and trailer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
We’ve never waxed our boat so this is a once a year thing? Also interested in what should be done for anticorrosion both for fittings and trailer.
I've got an aluminum trailer, so I wash/rinse it with freshwater after every use, check torque on the lug nuts every 2 or 3 times out or before a long trip, and grease the hubs at least 2 times per year. Corrosion X or some anti-corrosion on the threads/undercarriage twice a year as well, and I try not to submerge the hubs as much as I can.

For waxing, I think that is just for me, to make it look better, but in my mind it helps with longevity. I'm always open to new/better ideas, as much as I spent on a boat I want it kept new as long as I can.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wash after each use, including the trailer, wax the boat 2 times a year and that’s really it. Make sure to dry out hatches and gutters if you can, and just normal maintenance on the motor. It’s not really difficult to keep a skiff looking good in my opinion.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,796 Posts
Few more tips: use dielectric grease on all electrical connections; use Woody's Wax on the non-skid and all of the metal (poling platform, grab rails, etc.). Do the regular maintenance every 100 hours or 1x per year, whichever comes first. Keep your eyes on the tires: proper inflation; if you store the trailer outside, watch for dry rot and you may want to replace every two years regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I applied 2 coats of Ceramic when I brought mine home from the factory...
hull, center console, motor and wheels on the trailer. After each use I wash with a Kranzle pressure washer, foam cannon and boars hair brush on an extended handle. Motor flushed after every use as well. Once a month I’ll apply Sonax Spray and Seal over the hull and trailer. Super easy, spray on/rinse off. The ceramic topped with Sonax makes regular washes a breeze. Aero Metal Polish on the fenders, topped with Sonax Spray and Seal. Boat is garage kept, so all hatches left open and a small fan runs inside the bilge for a couple days after each wash.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
For polished aluminum, a can of NevrDull cotton wadding with whatever the polishing compound is in that stuff really works wonders. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but really gets rid of unsightly water spots and protects the metal.

Learned about that stuff when working on crew boats long ago. Very in-depth training there...
=)

·
Registered
586 Posts
This might sound basic and elementary but what kind of maintenance routines and products do you guys do keep your skiffs in tip top shape. Getting close to pulling the trigger on a new skiff so wanted to get an idea of what I should be doing.

In my family most of the boats have been “beaters” so maintenance is basically a wash after use and flush the engine. We do a yearly maintenance on the engine and grease up the trailer bearings but otherwise nothing special.

Some of you guys’ whips look spectacular wanted to know what the secret was lol.

thanks!
Coat every electrical connection you can find with dielectric grease, at the get-go

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,063 Posts
Keep mine covered, which has it's own problems
I try to crank the motor once a month, if it's not used. I like to run a little Dawn through the cooling system to keep the corrosion down. Wax the hull once a year. Pump grease in to my baring buddys before any trip. Pull the wheels, check tires, touch up paint on wheels.
I wash my boat with dawn and add a little bleach it it has mold on it
Check all port holes to see if any under floor is wet. Put a fan over the hole if there's any moisture.
After i dunk it in saltwater i wash all with fresh water. I like to wash my torsion axle from underneath and go behind the wheels with the hose.
Treat all electric connections with dielectric grease. Take off motor cowling spray any thing that needs anti corrosion
Then get under the trailer to check wiring on lights. Hookup lights to make sure they work
Aren't boats fun

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Already learned a few things. Thanks all. Will look into some of these products for sure. Any special care for electronics and trolling motors?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yeah, the ceramic coat allows me to just rinse it most of the time. It’s supposed to last 3 yrs so we will see. No wax yet and it’s a year old. Manufacturer states no wax.
Getting my new skiff ceramic coated, boat-motor-trailer. That helps somewhat to maintain good condition.[/QUO

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,523 Posts
I wash my boat with a soap/wax combo pretty regular. While soap and wax are kinda working against each other, the wax creeps in around the screw heads, hinges, other deck fittings and seems to really help prevent surface corrosion and spot rust. I wipe the boat down with a synthetic chamois cloth to dry it.
I like using Starbrite Ultimate detail spray on the smooth surfaces of the deck, aluminum and the SeaDek.
My front hatch has plug that drains to the hull so I’ll pour the bucket of soapy water down in there and let it rinse out inside the hull and bilge.

·
Registered
473 Posts
1 - 20 of 83 Posts