Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put a keel roller on my float on trailer. Anyone have any advice on which roller and what size works well for this trailer setup with an Ankona Shadowcast 16. Looking to avoid the boat ramp a little more this coming summer, Corpus ramps are a zoo during the warm months. Thanks guys, enjoy your superbowl Sunady everyone.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Have you tried to contact Float On to ask what they use? When I got a quote from Mel For an Advent, he said a keel roller was a simple add on from them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Quick question, where exactly would you put in if not using one of the local ramps? Corpus is where I usually go when I head down to the coast. I usually use Billings but agree that it can be a madhouse at times.

Reactions: AZ_squid

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you’re doing this for dry launching I’d highly recommend an 18” roller with tabs welded on to your trailer so you don’t have a bracket hanging down. Like this..
87CBEBF1-5A88-48D9-A8D0-3561E4538883.jpeg

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@mosquitolaGOON thanks for the idea. I hadn't even thought of the bracket hanging down. I guess I assumed the roller sat on top and I'd just face the bracket forward. It will be for dry launching.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yup, welded or a thru bolted bracket. The ones you buy that use U bolts have a lot of material hanging low. if you use a 12" roller make sure you buy the outside rubber rollers to go with it. They look like pucks and go on the outside of the bracket. Might save your keel if you don't line up right. I wish mine was 18" but the 12" is fine.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered the 12" with the side pucks, tried to canx the order and grab an 18" but the 12 had already processed for shipping. I'll give it a look when it comes in and decide if I'm just gonna return it and go with the 18 like you guys are saying. Chances are I'll go with the 18", I'll post up some pics when I get it all setup. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
328 Posts
2F38AD31-3FB6-4B70-8B02-BFEDBD5E54B9.jpeg
Mount it low as possible, you want it close to the water, less of a drop-off for launching, less of a steep-up for loading. 18” is what you want

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks good Tig, if it's a weld job I'm gonna have to take it into a shop to get it done. I appreciate the pics so I can be a little more specific on the placement.

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Reactions: AZ_squid
1 - 19 of 19 Posts