Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After extensive searching of some backwater spots on the gheenoe, I've finally located a hole that is holding a lot of tarpon from 10-40lbs. Looks like most are in the 20lb range. 4'-12' depth, very dark water. They didn't seem interested in anything I threw at them (small soft and hard plastics), probably because of all the bait they were feeding on. Im thinking about going back with live bait, might also throw a few flies at them. My juvenile tarpon knowledge is limited as I've only had success with them in small ponds, any advice on these tricky little guys would be appreciated!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Poons love flies! back water areas throw very small baitfish patterns imitating mosquito fish. Hit them on the nose when they roll. your water depths are deep and the fish can sit deep so you have to get them to eat near the surface while they are there. Good Luck!

Capt. Jeff
Local Waters LLC
fishlocalwaters.com

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,428 Posts
I'm a fly guy, but if I were throwing spin I'd try the small DOA Terror Eyez.

Maybe try a sink tip line if you are throwing fly to get a small baitfish pattern down to them in that deeper water.

Predicting where those bastards are going to roll is damn near impossible.

Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
441 Posts
F4FBB92B-C860-44D8-A3A8-F17E450E854C.jpeg

·
Registered
441 Posts
I always have good luck with these....paired with a 1/4-ounce jighead.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have hundreds in my backyard often 10+ circling my light at night. Sometimes by the bridges they will be rolling so much it looks like a person can walk across them.

I haven't found anyone or any technique that can catch the juveniles consistently by my dock despite seeing a dozen plus at any given time of night. Usually when we do nab one it is on white bait on the way back in 15' or so off the bank in 3-4' of water. Seems the locations where they tend to school makes them prone to lockjaw. We catch more juveniles fishing for snook/reds as a by-catch than any other way.

A semi-recent one we caught on the way in:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9bN3F11JP3aLxfQQ8

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have limited tarpon experience, but I've done well throwing black and purple and chartreuse tarpon toads on a 1/0 hook. If I'm fishing deeper water I tie them with dumbbell eyes instead of bead chain eyes

·
I Love microskiff.com!
234 Posts
I find they often eat the fly on a long pause. Give it a 5 count. I have used DOA shrimp with good affect same thing let it rest. You have to change the hooks out though. Gamakatsu sl12 1/0's work well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts