Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found myself in Costa Rica and the wind was just miserable for trying roosterfish ….25/30 knts from the east.
So I dug in my duffel bag and pulled out my 8 weight and called Esteban Blanco about doing a float for rainbow bass. It was an adventure to say the least.
I’ll let the pics tell the story. But I have to tell the trick we used on the matchaka …..a cousin to the piranha that eats ANYTHING.
After getting a few rainbow bass Jorge my oarsman and guide asked if I had anything yellow in my fly box . I fiddled around a little and found a yellow boogle bug. Jorge pointed at a tree on the bank that had yellow flowers. He had seen a matchaka rise and eat one of those flowers when the wind blew it from the tree into the water.
I never would’ve believed a flower eatin fish but I ain’t shittin …….. everytime we drifted by one of those trees I would put the bug against the bank 3-4 feet downwind or downstream of the tree.
It was some of the craziest eats I’ve ever had.
the little dudes fight like baby tarpon and are real fun. I asked Jorge what kind of tree it was and he didn’t know and asked me ,” what kind of tree do you think it is?” I said , “ Hell Jorge I’m just gonna call it the matchaka tree. “
He laughed and that’s what he started calling them:

Sky Cloud Water Hat Baseball cap

Insect Eye Arthropod Decapoda Terrestrial animal

Water Lake Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Drink Tree

Cloud Water Sky Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape

Food Tableware Bottle Ingredient Recipe
Water resources Water Nature Bedrock Mountain

Water Sky Casting (fishing) Plant Cloud

Water resources Water Nature Bedrock Mountain

Sky Cloud Water Hat Baseball cap

Water Sky Casting (fishing) Plant Cloud

Cloud Water Sky Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape

Water Lake Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Drink Tree

Insect Eye Arthropod Decapoda Terrestrial animal

Food Tableware Bottle Ingredient Recipe

Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Body of water

Attachments

·
I Love Skinny Water
7,171 Posts
When I went to CR years ago we fished salt for 3 days and fresh water for 3 days. The fresh days we stayed in a lodge with an active volcano behind it. We could feel the rumbling in the lodge. We fish for Gwapotees which I think where big peacock bass with a big bump on their head. My buddy caught one about 8 lbs. And had it mounted or intended to if he could keep it cold all the way back to Atlanta

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very nice photos and story. Costa Rica is surely a very fishy place. We caught machaca under chilamate trees on one of my trips and they were eating the green fruit when it fell to the river (similar to your experience with flowers). They are great fun to catch and fight damn hard for their size. Here is the fly that we used that is made to resemble the chilamate fruit (or what was left of it)
Organism Fisherman Fish Marine biology Recreational fishing

Fish Fish products Ray-finned fish Tail Oily fish

·
Registered
875 Posts
So I found myself in Costa Rica and the wind was just miserable for trying roosterfish ….25/30 knts from the east.
So I dug in my duffel bag and pulled out my 8 weight and called Esteban Blanco about doing a float for rainbow bass. It was an adventure to say the least.
I’ll let the pics tell the story. But I have to tell the trick we used on the matchaka …..a cousin to the piranha that eats ANYTHING.
After getting a few rainbow bass Jorge my oarsman and guide asked if I had anything yellow in my fly box . I fiddled around a little and found a yellow boogle bug. Jorge pointed at a tree on the bank that had yellow flowers. He had seen a matchaka rise and eat one of those flowers when the wind blew it from the tree into the water.
I never would’ve believed a flower eatin fish but I ain’t shittin …….. everytime we drifted by one of those trees I would put the bug against the bank 3-4 feet downwind or downstream of the tree.
It was some of the craziest eats I’ve ever had.
the little dudes fight like baby tarpon and are real fun. I asked Jorge what kind of tree it was and he didn’t know and asked me ,” what kind of tree do you think it is?” I said , “ Hell Jorge I’m just gonna call it the matchaka tree. “
He laughed and that’s what he started calling them:

View attachment 193743
View attachment 193747
View attachment 193746
View attachment 193745
View attachment 193748 View attachment 193742
View attachment 193744
View attachment 193742
View attachment 193743
View attachment 193744
View attachment 193745
View attachment 193746
View attachment 193747
View attachment 193748
View attachment 193749
Your scorpion “pattern” looks very realistic! Kudos to the tier!😁

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,174 Posts
That's pretty cool. Where were y'all at?

I've only done Costa Rica once and the two days spent fishing out of Tamarindo were tough. The weather conditions were crazy- blowing 25-30 the whole time almost. We spent a couple days near Arenal at the Tabacon resort but I didn't do any freshwater fishing there.

I'd like to go back and experience more.

·
Registered
A simple old Gheenoe
217 Posts
I taught a study abroad class in CR class a few years ago; we travelled all over (Arenal, the Pacauare (sp?) River, the Caribbean coast, Monteverde, etc. While last-minute packing, I decided to toss a couple of rods in my bag in case I got the chance to wet a line when I wasn't babysitting students. One of the few chances I got was at remote spot up in the mountains. I tried unsuccessfully to get some intel from the locals, but that only resulted in a very well-intentioned guy directing me to his secret stash of earthworms. Ultimately, I just tied on a caddis, found a decent-looking pool and hoped for the best. I spent the next two hours pulling out a ton of what I think were the juvenile version of the fish above. They were ferocious, toothy little f***ers and pound for pound (ounce for ounce?) the most entertaining thing I've ever held on a line. The largest may have pushed five inches, but the bend they put in a five weight was unreal!

I intended to look them up once I returned to civilization, but I never did. Thanks for solving that mystery!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Great post - living vicariously through your adventure! Couple of questions for ya:
1. What was the dish shown in pic? When I was in Cuba they had one dish we referred to as Mystery Meat, we all steered clear! Did you eat any fish?
2. How was the CR Cervesa?
3. Did you brave the rock climbing thing in the background?

Looks like a really cool trip and you managed to avoid the dreaded fer-de-lance!! Be interested to know if you booked through an outfitter and cost.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1. What was the dish shown in pic? When I was in Cuba they had one dish we referred to as Mystery Meat, we all steered clear! Did you eat any fish?
2. How was the CR Cervesa?
3. Did you brave the rock climbing thing in the background?”

1. We had groceries delivered to the house. I’m not sure what you call the meat but it was a lightly seasoned beef . I added onion ,green /yellow pepper, and a variety of little hot peppers and served on a tortilla. It was good.
2 they have good local beer. Imperial …..that comes in heavy , light and extra light. It’s a b plus to a -
And there is Pilsen brand that was a solid A+
Pilsen dark was motor oil. I can drink just about anything …..not that.
yes I haven’t climbed rocks in 30 plus years but I did the whole course and kept up with the kids. It was an intense workout. After that we went to some thermal hot springs and took a mud bath then soaked in some 104 degree volcanic hot springs. Highly recommend that with 5 or 6 of the Pilsen mentioned above.

I used an outfitter :
Esteban Blanco and he runs a good operation.
the trip was arranged by my wife who is a pretty good travel agent ( we got the flights on points and the house she found for us was top notch and about 5 grades above anything I could find.

it was a cool country and a cool trip.
Only bad thing is that my expedition got stolen out of the airport hotel parking lot in Nashville.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts