Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like I'm always doing projects like this at the most humid time of the year. blasting hood/respirator/long sleeve shirt/jeans/boots/gloves. what could go wrong? oh, grandson doesn't show up till 10:30am, and its his project LOL.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,490 Posts
Is it cooler at night. I don't envy you

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the blaster is a harbor freight piece of junk. the valve underneath had a hole thru it less than 1/4" diameter. I re-piped that whole area and it works well as long as the tank is mostly full. as it runs low there is not enough weight pressing down on the blast media and it hangs up and fails to flow. you have to have someone tap on the tank. once you refill it it works decent until the same happens again, I hate it but a good commercial one is between $750.00 to 5K and I don't use it enough to justify that.

the media I use is a coal based product from Tractor Supply. it is $9.99 per 50lb bag. we catch the used media on tarps and pour it back into the tank through a kitchen type sieve. you can reuse the stuff 4 or 5 times before it gets too pulverized to be effective.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, the clogging caused by the crap valve on the bottom is made much worse by moisture sucked out of the air by the air compressor and dampening the media in the tank. I have eliminated that problem by running a number of moisture traps on my hard piped air system and running the compressor in my air conditioned shop. this is a big problem in hot humid southern states.

·
Registered
51 Posts
oh, the clogging caused by the crap valve on the bottom is made much worse by moisture sucked out of the air by the air compressor and dampening the media in the tank. I have eliminated that problem by running a number of moisture traps on my hard piped air system and running the compressor in my air conditioned shop. this is a big problem in hot humid southern states.
Thank you, sir. Here in North Central Florida it is definitely a struggle to run the compressor for the blaster, paint, etc...

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you need a lot of CFM, I would say at least 12. I have a 2 stage compressor with a big tank and it is 22 or 24 CFM and it still pretty much runs constantly when blasting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts