Johnson 15 peeing sometimes

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by erikb85, Jun 15, 2015.

1. erikb85

erikb85 I Love microskiff.com!

Motor is a 1985, new water pump has probably 1 hour on it. I rebuilt the carb and wanted to water test it so I put it in a barrel and cranked it up. A couple weeks ago I ran it in a lake and it peed fine the whole time. In the barrel it would not pee. So I dropped the lower unit, blowed air thru the pee hole, and took the water pump off to inspect. All looked perfect, as it should. I reassembled and put it back in the barrel. Started and it peed for a bit then stopped. Now it wont pee. Any clues/insight?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Possible debris in the coolant passages.
    You blew it back, then when running the next time,
    water pressure pushed it to obstruct again.

3. erikb85

Im gonna run it on muffs tomorrow and see if that helps. Otherwise I guess ill drop the lower again and see what I find. Im starting to think it was flaking paint on the inside of the drum.

4. erikb85

Ran it on muffs after some more compressed air. Peed like a boss. Thank Gawd.

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Minor problem.
    Using the muffs will produce a false reading as to the condition of your cooling system.
    High pressure in the water hose is forced into the intakes, up the water tube and into the block.
    It does not give you the results as would be obtained from operating afloat.
    Air leaks, split seals, warped impeller housing will only be apparent from a non-pressurized water supply.
    That's why I flush my small outboards in a tub or bucket. It's quiet and I can verify function of cooling system.

6. erikb85

I agree. After I ran the pressured water through it for 5 minutes I put it back in the drum with a can liner to eliminate any debris. Still peed fine.