Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Bass Pro the other day getting my 400 children their pictures with Santa. I prefer to support local tackle shops but while I was there I picked up some stuff. I usually buy jig heads 1/16 through 1/4oz in red, but I will get white or chartreuse or whatever if it's on the shelf. I've never cared. They had white this time so I got white. Does anybody think the head color matters? I've had eats on plain unpainted lead, white, red etc.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
I quit using painted jigheads probably 4-5 years ago and just fish plain lead and don’t think it affected my catch rate. I used to be silly about matching the jighead color to the tail and using plain lead on natural colored tails. I don’t think it matters honestly.
I buy my jiggeads from a local guy that pours them at home. Lemaymiami pours and sells jigheads too.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think it comes down to personal preference and what you have confidence in. I base my jig selection on the hook used and the shape of the head mainly.

I do not think any color matters that much. I am also the person that separates their artificials into 2 colors, light and dark, so I may not be the best answer.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I think it comes down to personal preference and what you have confidence in. I base my jig selection on the hook used and the shape of the head mainly.

I do not think any color matters that much. I am also the person that separates their artificials into 2 colors, light and dark, so I may not be the best answer.
Confidence is the key word. I too use any color laying around in the box, but I prefer red. The only reason I can say I hook up more on red is because I'm usually throwing it.

On a side note, I recently heard the owner of Eye Strike jigs talking about different colors of jigs. One thing he stated, was that red is one of the first colors to disappear in darker, stained water so I wouldn't put too much thought into color.

My belief is it's one of the marketing strategies to catch the angler, not the fish. Just do what works for you, or change it up if it doesn't.

·
Panhandler
2,725 Posts
If it ain't chartreuse, it's no use. That was always Capt. Hank Brown's motto. ;)

Seriously, agree with others, have caught fish on all colors. Head shape and hook match are more important. I'm using the Owner swim bait hooks with unpainted keel weights more than regular jigs these days anyway.

Capt. Bob, do you have your jig styles shown on your web site? Or brochures?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
I'm not a stickler but I love root beer soft plastics and chartreuse for a little contrast. But I'll throw whatever really. My experience is that color matters a lot less than most people think it does. I frequently buy stupid looking baits on discount just to see if I can catch fish on them, and so far I've yet to find one that didn't work.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
just me:

red head for all plastic tails

yellow bucktail jigs in "rough" water

white bucktail jigs in calm water

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
For Zika (and anyone else interested...) an email request to [email protected]
will get you a lure price list and the color photos to go with it..

In the meantime... Here's a pic or two - all of them (except the 1 oz. pilchard jig and the skimmer jigs...) with strong black nickel hooks, powder coated and baked to harden the finish in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 oz sizes (both leadheads and bucktail jigs...).

the LBJ (little brown jig) - a winter-time staple...

a small order of leadheads for a customer - ready to ship

assorted "skimmer" jigs - very popular for bonefish, permit, and redfish - in places where this style head allows you to fish up really shallow...

one ounce pilchard jigs - for those working near shore in a bit deeper waters...

backcountry bucktails for folks fishing snook, redfish, trout, and those pesky tarpon... add a tiny bit of shrimp and you're in business all winter long...

I don't keep anything in stock - every lure is made to your order...

·
Registered
533 Posts
How does one go about purchasing from you? Also do the skimmer head flutter when sinking? I had some similar to those years ago and have never been able to find them again.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
GaG8tor just send me an email (see post #13) and you'll get all the info you need by return email... I've sent out four info sheets since I posted that yesterday.

Remember as well that each order is to your specs and only done when I actually have a request...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts