Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fishing an oceanside bonefish flat in about 2’ of water yesterday evening. My buddy just landed a nice bone. Plan is to continue to work this flat until the sun goes down, had about 30 mins. I’m sure you’ve all heard this story plenty of times but here it goes.

Two Jet Skis arise out in the distance, I heard the annoying sound first before seeing them. Sure enough they are headed my way. I’m hoping they turn as there is no one else on the water and their is a good half mile stretch of open water between me and the mouth of the cut. Sure enough they don’t turn and are headed right onto the flat that I’m fishing. They must have passed me within 75 yards. Right as they pass me I see a big school of bones spook off the flat in the other direction.

Majority of them this stupid? Or are they just d-bags that don’t give a $h1t about other people? Rant over.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Had a very similar thing happen to me fishing for tarpon close to Bahia Honda. They rode slow circles around us asking what we were doing standing on the towers in two feet of water off the edge of side channel off of a cut. When I told them why they did, they both looked at me like whatever and sped off burning the rest of the flat. I don’t think it’s ignorance just a complete lack of exposure to fishing/outdoor activities.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I don’t care what it is, if you don’t take the opportunity to educate people that do things like this then don’t complain. Any time I get a chance to speak to a shoreline burner, a person that cuts off my wade, pole or drift or just does something that is flat out unethical I will absolutely speak up and let them know. I start off calm and respectful but as soon as they get shitty I reciprocate the attitude. How will anyone ever learn if no one teaches?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t care what it is, if you don’t take the opportunity to educate people that do things like this then don’t complain. Any time I get a chance to speak to a shoreline burner, a person that cuts off my wade, pole or drift or just does something that is flat out unethical I will absolutely speak up and let them know. I start off calm and respectful but as soon as they get shitty I reciprocate the attitude. How will anyone ever learn if no one teaches?
I agree. A video of boating etiquette should be posted on social media or something. When on the water it’s hard to do this especially when on a flat and the other person is going 40 mph plus.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
If they are riding jet skis, two things are true: they dont give a shit about anyone else especially someone fishing. Two, they are morons who think they are entitled to do anything they damn well please. I am not too sure they would have the intelligence to assimilate "education".
Fishing a Oceanside bonefish flat in about 2’ of water yesterday evening. My buddy just landed a nice bone. Plan is to continue to work this flat until the sun goes down, had about 30 mins. I’m sure you’ve all heard this story plenty of times but here it goes.

Two Jet Skis arise out in the distance, I heard the annoying sound first before seeing them. Sure enough they are headed my way. I’m hoping they turn as there is no one else on the water and their is a good half mile stretch of open water between me and the mouth of the cut. Sure enough they don’t turn and are headed right onto the flat that I’m fishing. They must have passed me within 75 yards. Right as they pass me I see a big school of bones spook off the flat in the other direction.

Majority of them this stupid? Or are they just d-bags that don’t give a $h1t about other people? Rant over.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I agree. A video of boating etiquette should be posted on social media or something. When on the water it’s hard to do this especially when on a flat and the other person is going 40 mph plus.
OR we start having to take and pass courses to obtain a boating/watercraft license where on the water and ramp etiquette are one of the main sections. Still not sure why this hasn’t happened.

G

·
I think Smack has the right idea. I've seen countless confrontations where other guides jumped right staight to "shitty" and were harassed unmercifully while I just gave a friendly wave to the same jet skiers and were given a wide berth. Try it first, it just might work. I guess your second choice could be the Glock? [only kidding, I was just tryin to sound like some of the other Microskiff members];)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,509 Posts
Last time I used a certain local ramp I had words with one who was going donuts right off the end of the dock next to the ramp...like 30' away from where I was trying to load my skiff on the trailer. I pointed at the no wake sign and got the "doesn't apply to jet skis" response at which I suggested that "a wake is a wake is a wake" regardless of where it comes from. When I wouldn't back down and break eye contact he finally stopped long enough for me to finish loading and leave.

Jet skis suck...

·
Registered
982 Posts
When I worked in a boat I used to tell folks, "When I see a pontoon boat or a PWC coming, I just go ahead and assume it's an ignorant rookie. I dig a hole in the water, jump in, and pull the water over me 'til he's gone....."

Too many newbs to boating have no idea that there are rules, regulations, and etiquette that apply. And PWCs & pontoons are what 95% of the newbs buy. Many of them can be educated. Some will continue to be professional rectal orifices. I could tell crazy stories about rookie boaters (and a few -- well, quite a few) about dumb shit I've done when my brain slipped out of gear) for hours, but here's the deal, at least in the Great State of Texas:

We're all married to those evil electronic devices called cellular telephones. Far, far too many of us feel compelled to keep them handy while on the water, lest we miss an important tweet or chirp or squawk or whatever the hell they're called these days. Grab that infernal device (mine's in the bottom of a hatch in a soundproof container, tee hee) and video the idiots, and get the TX# (registration) if you can. Forward it to a Game Warden, or the local LE agency on that water body. They may not have a unit close enough to send right then. They may not even have a unit available at all. BUT...... the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and as a specific registration pops up in multiple complaints, you may rest assured that the owner of that vessel will be receiving some special attention, and he/she will not be likely to receive the benefit of the doubt when a GW/LEO has him/her stopped and two entirely different stories are being told about who flung the chunk...... Those complaints are all logged, and those agencies track complaints on computers. When they get a complaint about a specific registration number, it'll pop up as a frequent flier. You may not receive the instant gratification that you crave oh, so much.......... But eventually the multiple complaints will catch up to the a$$hole, and Karma's a she-dog.

That's how we have to play to win in this brave new world.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Fishing a Oceanside bonefish flat in about 2’ of water yesterday evening. My buddy just landed a nice bone. Plan is to continue to work this flat until the sun goes down, had about 30 mins. I’m sure you’ve all heard this story plenty of times but here it goes.

I would vote for stupidity.
Have a theory on this, have seen this many times. I believe that they are not happy unless they think someone is watching them- that is why they will go out of their way to come in real close even ( especially?) when you're the only boat around. They need some kind of attention to make themselves feel good. basically the opposite of most fisherman.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Your not safe anywhere. Even way back in the creeks. I had a guy come by me on one so far back and off the beaten path in Long Creek I was amazed. Right through the hole we were fishing. I gave him a few words of encouragement and he looked at me like I was crazy. I wish they had a draft of 3 ft.
Like someone else stated, I think they are an entry point for a lot of boaters.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts