Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any insight on jet drive outboards? I've only ever used prop outboards and understand the advantages of having a prop. But I would like to know if anyone has personal experience with them on the Texas Coast and get your opinion on how they hold up in saltwater as well as the various bottoms (mud, sand, oyster, grass, etc) you can experience in our bay system. Does floating grass ever cause an issue?

Appreciate your perspective and help!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a long history with outboard jets. I had a two stroke 50/35 jet on my glades skiff and loved the set up.
Grass can be an issue but if you take the grates out of the jet foot and keep your impeller sharp you shouldn't have any problems. I fish in and around Corpus Christi so there is a lot of grass and a mixture of bottoms and the jet set up I had worked great.
Cons - noise, fuel consumption, and loss of speed.
Pros - unlimited skinny water ability that leads to better fishing.

G

·
While no experience in Texas, I have a little experience with outboard jets ya might say. Most of what you here is true! @tdlredbud was pretty spot on. Speed is perceptive- 20mph in 2” feels a whole lot faster than 30mph in 12”! They do injest some vegetation but mostly at idle or before ya learn the tricks. Pretty simple maintenance and time proven design that just works.

·
Carpe Diem
1,804 Posts
Lots of previous discussion of this topic.

Cons: more noise, less economy, slower, ingest weeds, different handling (reverse may be tricky and directional control at slow speed is sometimes sketchy), seem to require more maintenance.

Pros: runs a few inches shallower than a prop, less hanging below the hull to hit rocks and break.

I've owned a couple of jets and the poor economy and weed problems convinced me to stick with a good tunnel hull/prop combo. If I were running rocky rivers I might think otherwise, but in an area with a soft bottom I'd stick with the prop.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
264 Posts
Love the idea of injesting grass on the flats......maybe you shouldn’t be running there....at some point we need to step back and decide maybe this isn’t a good idea for the fishery. You’ve got guys plowing prop scars across the Laguna and I can pick them up on Google Earth. This shallow water obsession with some is rediculous. They have no idea the damage they do by tearing up the grass. Sorry to get on my box, but geeez.

G

·
Love the idea of injesting grass on the flats......maybe you shouldn’t be running there....at some point we need to step back and decide maybe this isn’t a good idea for the fishery. You’ve got guys plowing prop scars across the Laguna and I can pick them up on Google Earth. This shallow water obsession with some is rediculous. They have no idea the damage they do by tearing up the grass. Sorry to get on my box, but geeez.
Where some of us run, it’s about just getting to the grass past all the rocks! The grass the jet injests is usually floating grass and that don’t damage the bottom. Come take a white knuckle ride with me and I’ll show ya what I’m talking about here.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,527 Posts
Sabine Skiffs has been putting jets on some of their skiffs for a good while now. They have a jet skiff for demo right now. Where we run here in West Galveston bay, Brian of Sabine Skiffs can get scare you skinny. He's on Microskiff every now and then, message him. Bslittle

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Jets don’t trench grass, the foot is barely below the hull on a non tunnel with a jet and actually even with or above the bottom of the hull on a properly fabricated jet tunnel.
I agree that lots of guys run rigs that shouldn’t be in anything under 18” deep that think they can run in 6” without touching the bottom. Don’t act like everyone that likes to run skinny is tearing up grass everywhere they go. Get off your high horse before you lump everyone into two groups...skinny running grass killers and guys that leave their boats in three feet of water and miss out on fishing water that is “too skinny” and too far away to wade or pole to. I get defensive when people create false stereotypes about things they are ignorant about. Most of those prop scars you see on Google Earth are guys that watch Youtube videos of guys running skinny and then go out and shoot rooster tails of grass and mud in a foot of water and think they are accomplishing something special. Honestly speaking it’s guys that think they can run with half their prop below the hull with no jack plate that tear shit up. I agree they have no business on the grass flats if they are leaving trenches but guys that can run skinny and clean aren’t hurting anything unless they are herding fish, burning shorelines or shutting down in 8” and making unclean attempts at hole shots that leave big blown out spots in the grass. I can run cleanly over 4” all day and when I shut down in deeper water and decide to move I will pole to a hole with no grass that I can hop on plane in and be on my way. That’s the way it should be done but these wannabes ruin it for the rest of us. If you want to experience it first hand contact me and we can go for a ride.
Rant over...

·
Registered
SeaArk 1860 MVT
296 Posts
IMG_8862.JPG
Love my Mercury Jet 80. It only sucks up floating grass and it has to be pretty bad to make me stop. I'm running 34mph to 38mph(light load) on an 1872 jet tunnel SeaArk averaging 4.7 mpg. I suffer for 2 months out of the year when the floating grass piles up. (I'm in the Florida Big Bend area)

·
Registered
42 Posts
You don't understand how a jet works. We are talking about floating grass. Jets do not gouge out a trench like a trp or regular prop.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
142 Posts
There's one in the boat shed, I have run both prop and jet, as well as lot's of time on the oars. Boatbrains, TD and Vertigo offer good answers akin to my experience...but I'm in different waters. Jets don't like loose sand here either.

I nearly went tunnel prop again, but wanted to try the jet, and it works fine. Really want to try it in the Big Bend some day!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Dead grass does float and moves in mats with wind or current. So you could be in 10 ft of water and suck up grass. Lets not forget the arts and craft lesson of the day. Plastic bags that resemble jelly fish. Those too can be found mostly in deep water.
Tearing up grass is done by fools and dumb asses. You dont have to destroy it to enjoy it. Run where its deeper, mud or sand or plenty deep(over grass) and pole where it is green.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts