Jeep Wrangler

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by orlgheenoer, Jan 24, 2009.

1. orlgheenoer

orlgheenoer Well-Known Member

Think a V6 jeep would be a good vehicle for towing the skiff between Orlando and The lagoon? I put something like 40,000 miles and allot of wear and tear on my parents Honda element last year and my little truck doesn't have the power to pull my boat.

2. orlgheenoer

I was thinking something like this...
    [​IMG]

3. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

They don't come in a v6...just to let you know. And if you go that route you should end up with a cherokee, because you can lock up your stuff. But the I6 is a great motor. Worked on several of them. Only had to replace water pumps, and a starter. Oh, and stay away from manual.

4. orlgheenoer

sorry i ment I6 not v6;) stay away from manual? why do you say that?i can't to automatic :(

5. skinny_water

Hard shifting with that motor. Automatic is less to fool around with when you have your girl with you.

6. orlgheenoer

7. skinny_water

I had a stick eclipse...it was nice for racing...bad for everything else.

8. skinny_water

Oh yeah, and it would suck if your clutch went out when you are at the ramp with your boat looking like a real d-bag. Chickies love that too.

9. orlgheenoer

That would suck but, I got Pals in low places that could hep me;)

10. skinny_water

Found one today in the same color, but it had a V8 in it. Lift kit, custom front bumper with fog lamps, stick shift. 5,900

11. orlgheenoer

Nice sounds like what i am after then v8 is appealing.

got his #?

12. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Tanner, Give me a call. Lots to explain.

[​IMG]

13. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

14. orlgheenoer

That picture is behind my grampas RV

15. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

I loved my Jeep. Wish I never got rid of it... but with that said... short wheelbase vehicles do NOT make good towing platforms. The heavier the tow the worst the problem...

16. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

They do for a true micro ;D But I told him the same thing for his boat. Especially for any towing that covers longer distances.

I have no problems with stick when launching my boat. I installed the appropriate gear ratios for my 33" tires and I use 4wd low on the ramp. Its very easy on the clutch.

17. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

you still need a snorkel for the just in case times, like two weeks ago :D

18. Fuzzy_Bruce

Fuzzy_Bruce Well-Known Member

I pulled the Gldesmen with a Wrangler for a year. The short wheelbase and 4X4 was great for backing into interesting areas to launch with out the need for a ramp.

The jeep with near a 100,000 miles had a standard stick tranny that was never a problem, including the clutch.

I did upgrade to a Cherokee and really like the assumed security of being able to lock up the tackle.

19. The_Skiff_Shop

The_Skiff_Shop Well-Known Member

Had a Rubi with an I6 / auto.  Great for towing up to 2K lbs short distances (5 miles or less) and the bomb for backing at the ramp.  However, with the short wheel base, I experienced a huge pucker factor on slimy ramps.  Wheel base is just too short and found myself towing a Gheenoe with an F250 4x4 7.3 diesel (you get the picture) on days I was launching at low tide.  Only way I could insure the Rubi would be around to drive another day. ;)

You've been given good advice.  Go the Cherokee instead so you can take your GF to lunch and still have your rods when you come back out.  Chicks hate it when your lost rods take your attention away from them. ;)

20. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

My pops owned a 2 CJ-7 with 304 V-8's and 4 speed tranny manual are badazzes jeep but 256 or 286 I-6 engine are even better motor....more relialable engine.

He said he wish he should never sold these jeeps.

Becareful what u look for Tanner........Don't' buy offroad Jeeps and look for the owners took seriously care for their jeeps tht's last longer.