Jeep Alternator.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mhinkle90, Mar 22, 2011.

1. mhinkle90

mhinkle90 Let it scream!!!

so i have a 2008 jeep patriot with a 2.4 liter engine. (4banger) mileage - 70,000. so about a week ago i begin to hear a faint noise coming from my engine bay and paid no mind to it until yesterday it began screaming at me! i didnt know what it was or what it could be. when the rpms rose the noise got louder but the car rode fine. i knew it wasn't the motor so i take it to the dealership here in miami at planet jeep dodge and chrysler and get there real early to beat the line a 7:30am. i get there with 6 cars already ahead of me -_-. so i wait it out and finally talk to the service guy who tells me he wants to charge me 105 bucks just to figure out the problem on top of whatever the cost of labor and parts might be. i said your crazy! no way! i went to goodyear a mile away and got a FREE diagnostic check. ended up being the alternator. its going bad and any day now it will go. goodyear qouted me 634 with labor and parts for the alternator and 2 other belts and so i call the dealership to see what they would charge and its 650. does anybody have or know any good reputable places to have a repair such as this down in the miami area for a cheaper price? all info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

2. grego

grego Well-Known Member

Not sure about jeep but my alt just went bad on my 02 gmc pup. Stopped at autozone, the part was $180.00 and I changed it in the store parking lot in 30min. Your jeep might be a little tougher to get to but you could save some $ by doing it yourself.

3. mhinkle90

Yea I checked around but none of them have it in-stock. And I don't think the current one would last if I had to place an order. I'm up a creek with out a paddle on this one lol

4. luckovertme

luckovertme I Love microskiff.com!

most places might not have it in stock but can order one. if goodyear can get it, autozone can also. its only a couple bolts you can do it yourself and save $$$$

5. luckovertme

luckovertme I Love microskiff.com!

autozone has a cheap one listed at $169 plus $50 core. take some tools to the store and change it in parking lot. some times i send the girl up there to flirt with the guys and i stay home and she will come back with everything fixed.

6. mhinkle90

hahahaha not a bad idea, goodyear gets the from the jeep dealership. im gonna try and find it at autozone and do it myself tho. only thing is its in a awkward spot where i have to remove other parts to get it out