James River Microskiff'ers?

Discussion in 'Virginia, Northern East Coast' started by manatiburon, May 25, 2014.

1. manatiburon

manatiburon Just add water!

Hi All,
        I just moved in the RVA area, and brought my little floater with me...
    [​IMG]
    With the hopes of doing some light tackle and fly fishing around the James River. Are there any local clubs or meetups of fellow microskiff owners around this neck of the woods?
    Tight lines!

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Tarp...Nate is up near DC

3. CedarCreek

CedarCreek I Love microskiff.com!

Welcome to the Commonwealth. I hope to hit Mobjack Bay in the next couple of weeks for some reds and trout (catch and release only until Aug 1) from my SUV. Normally I fish the lower Potomac but haven't heard of any reds up that way yet this year. There is a decent access just a couple miles from Gloucester on the Ware River. Probably a lot closer for you in Richmond than where I reside (NoVA). 

4. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

Tarp,

I was keeping quiet due to not having my boat set up adequately to come out and play, but a new prop is in the mail, so watch out! Foraging and gathering will soon commence. The James River is a bit too far south for me to claim to be your neighbor, but not many forum members are up here. I'll primarily fish for whatever is biting where I hunt in the Fishing Bay WMA. I gotta learn the marsh before teal season so my pup can earn her biscuits this fall.

Rosco is up here too, but he is currently sculpting his masterpiece and might or might not want to hurt the finish by getting it wet once he is done.

Nate

5. manatiburon

Thank you all for your replies! I am still in the process of settling out here in Richmond, but will be getting my fishing licences soon. I tossed the boat in the middle portion of the James, a lot of good people offered plenty of useful advice. Cedar and Nate, Thanks a lot for your input. I am looking to start fishing the fresh waters of the James first, as they are the closest and currently cannot afford a whole day trip to the coast. got in touch with a few fellas from the fly fishing crowd up here, so I think I will keep buggin' them and all of you guys for advice as time progress!

6. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Nate...that is a terrible thing to say about Rosco.

But, I'll bet Tarp moves back to Tampa before Rosco finishes. (think about it - December, January, and February - then he'll be back).

7. manatiburon

I wish DN! Summer is certainly great up here, but I am not really looking forward to the winter months... I might keep offering the boat around, before it gets too cold ;) There are a lot of places you can wade and fish around here, that's really a plus, especially up river.

8. WhiteDog70810

[smiley=1-biggrin.gif]
    I know.  He seems pretty chilled out, but I am waiting for some outraged sputtering once he finds this post.

This last winter was legit.  I vastly prefer the Louisiana/South Texas variety.

Nate

9. WhiteDog70810

Oh Lord! Don't ask me anything. I am an idiot. The dude that really seems to know some stuff up here is Jeff Brennan, but he isn't on here much since the fishing started to pick up. Once it ices over again, he'll be back.

Nate

10. CedarCreek

Tarp, if you are OK with FW fishing for awhile, the James right through downtown Richmond is great for smallmouth bass action (Pony Pasture area). A great shad run in the spring, huge blue cats in the tidal portion. The Chickahominy (trib to the James) is a very cool looking tidal largemouth river. Even walleye in the Appomatox another trib to the James. There is plenty of variety. It gets stinking hot during the summer in Richmond but you should be well prepared for that. Winters aren't bad there either, usually. Nothing like DC/Baltimore area. This past winter was the worst in 30 years.

11. yeffy

yeffy I Love microskiff.com!

yup im not on much during the summer months lots of fishing to be done, i don't fish down by richmond very often or the James besides the shad in the spring. I'm mostly the potomac and north until right about now when i start to drag my ass down to the VA salt marshes for giant silver bullets. we don't get many shots at them up here and everyone keeps it pretty quiet but this is the time they show up. I've actually been hunting carp on the fly rod for the past month with a break for trout last week. maybe we can find a way to have a micro skiff get together sometime, it seems there are a few of us on here at this point. snakehead fishing is as good as it gets right now as well

12. gradywhite

gradywhite I Love microskiff.com!

Great to see this site developing for this area.  I got into gheenoes this winter in FL.  I am an old guy but really enjoy the flats here in Poquoson. Most folks here head out for the reefs etc for flounder.  Love hitting the reds etc. I am all up for an informal group with fishing reports etc. but don't necessarily want to post it completely in the open.  I did that a couple of times with stripers and learned an unfortunate lesson that if I do a detailed report I will be overwhelmed with friends the next day.

13. CedarCreek

That's what I've been up to. Had some shots at the beginning of the month, but no takers. Heading back next week if the weather is right.

14. yeffy

yeffy I Love microskiff.com!

tough to get a hook up, sometimes its just a miracle to find a couple. we had a pretty damn cold winter this year and a surprisingly cool spring as well. all in all one of the hardest weather years i can remember as far as fishing goes. hopefully that means good musky fishing to come with cool water. good luck to you gentleman

15. tkflyfish

tkflyfish Well-Known Member

Moving to Williamsburg, anyone in this thread still around. Looking to fish some coastal spots.