Jackplate

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by robertdb1, Jan 20, 2011.

1. robertdb1

robertdb1 Bradenton Beach, FL

OK, so 'll begin with the fact that I'm not sure if my ride is technically a microskiff.  It's a skiff, for sure, so humor me.  Here's my issue:  I broke the steering cable on my skiff this weekend, and I'm biting the bullet to put hydraulic steering on it.  I'm thinking about throwing a jack plate on it at the same time.  The engine I have on this 17ft skiff is a little on the heavy side.  It's a 70hp Johnson 4 stroke - it weighs something like 430 lbs.  So, before everyone tells me to get a lighter 2 stroke, because I know, I know , I know - I'm not willing to buy another engine.  So, here's the question: Will a mere 4" of setback make a big difference in weighing it's back down?  I could really use less lower unit resistence getting up - and when I'm trimmed up in the flats it just pushes my nose up if I try to trot a little.  I'm attaching a pic of the boat so you can see how it sits in the water.  Also, the make of the skiff is a Palm Harbor.  I've never heard of this make before - has anyone else?  Thanks in advance for any advise.
    [​IMG]

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

No real weight change with the jackplate.
    The Palm Harbor looks like a Sundowner copy

Welcome to the forum   ;)

3. robertdb1

robertdb1 Bradenton Beach, FL

What about a 6" setback - could it handle it? I've been looking at CMC's and Bob's. Everything I've read says that Bob's is faster (the 4 " setback), but the CMC (6" setback) has the pump inside the jackplate for easier install. Any opinion?

And thanks for the welcome.

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

No preference, either one will do the job

5. jimmypressley

jimmypressley I Love microskiff.com!

I've had both on big boats in the past. On a Mako Bayshark I ran a CMC and on a 18 Action Craft I ran a Bob's. The Bob's is a faster response and IMO nicer unit. Noise, etc...

Just my 2 cents... Bob's... I'm ordering one next week for my Gheenoe.

6. n8ayala

n8ayala I Love microskiff.com!

To the original guy with the Palm Harbour I am looking at buying one do they ride good in the bay? Do you think a 50hp yamaha will be fine?