Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am in the process of building a Skimmer Skiff and I am stuck on the Jackplate.

Is it essential to have on a skimmer 16? If so can I get away with a manual?
Any other intel would be greatly appreciated!

Jake

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I've never been a fan of jackers at all and won't rig one on any skiff I set up... There are places where you must have them - but not in the Everglades and nearby areas that I've been running for many, many years...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You're gonna get a lot of replies about minor performance increases, and how much shallower you will be able to run. It really depends on where(and how) you will be using your boat. In the end, it's going to really depend on your specific situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never been a fan of jackers at all and won't rig one on any skiff I set up... There are places where you must have them - but not in the Everglades and nearby areas that I've been running for many, many years...
Thank you, I will be running mostly on the north/east side of florida. Mosquito Lagoon, and Halifax River, and a little but in the north east on the Chesapeake Bay Flats. A lot of what ill be fishing wont be super skinny, at least what I have been fishing thus far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're gonna get a lot of replies about minor performance increases, and how much shallower you will be able to run. It really depends on where(and how) you will be using your boat. In the end, it's going to really depend on your specific situation.
So true and thank you for replying. Mosquito Lagoon, Halifax River, Chesapeake Bay Flats, and maybe a couple trips to the Glades.

That's about all im looking to do. One buddy and myself on the boat at best.

·
Carpe Diem
1,912 Posts
As I recall a Skimmer 16 does not have a tunnel hull. Without a tunnel, there's little advantage to having a jack plate.

·
Registered
42 Posts

This is the manual jack plate I will have mounted on my skiff. It's peace of mind should I ever pass over underwater objects.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you plan on going in shallow water, get it. You can at least run slow with it up without a tunnel as long as it is picking up water to cool. An Atlas Micro isn't that much.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It will probably give you an extra 1-3 mph top end, and it will let you run a little bit shallower. Personally I would skip it to save as much weight as possible and keep it simple, I fish the same areas you are describing. If you do decide to get one, go with the Atlas micro. Manual Jack plates are not very useful IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It will probably give you an extra 1-3 mph top end, and it will let you run a little bit shallower. Personally I would skip it to save as much weight as possible and keep it simple, I fish the same areas you are describing. If you do decide to get one, go with the Atlas micro. Manual Jack plates are not very useful IMO.
Awesome thank you! I am leaning towards skipping it for now. Maybe adding it later if its not too much of a pain to do so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts