Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As flattered as I am I need you to remove these photos please. I have several years, over $20k invested and a patent in progress for my pickup system. You really should have reached out to me before posting these photos.
I’m coming to Florida for about a week to pick up a Chittum and do a couple of installs while I’m over there, I could have gotten you in if you were patient.
Welcome back, man! No problem, pictures removed as requested.

Based on my first-hand experience, I heartily endorse going with Smackdaddy53's system. It will save you a lot of time and trial and error, and you will benefit from his years of refinement.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Added a riser plate to my jack plate to give me up to 5" more outboard height. I know I can go higher, this will allow me to find the limit.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mmmm, good point. Some folks run 50hp outboards on these, mine is a 20hp, so I'm starting with some design margin. What would you suggest to reinforce it?

-- Carl

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Checked out the transom. The top edge is about 3/8" thick, but it bumps out to about 1-3/4" thick quickly and carries that down. I think it will be fine, but when I post about how to fix transom cracks @Smackdaddy53 gets dibs on "I tried to tell you..." :)

I swapped my riser plate and reinforcement for additional inch of setback.

Blocked off all the stock inlets and conducted pressure/temperature tests on the driveway. Looks good. Next step is to take it to the lake to find on what I need to work on next.

-- Carl

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh yeah... also swapped out all the hardware with 316 stainless fasteners. Bolt Depot is a great source if you need something very specific.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Testing went well today, gained a solid two inches of height. If I try to go higher I steadily lose speed. Two more inches of jack plate there for the taking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Man that is just awesome

Looking at your compression plate, I don’t know that you need any more lift than that

Do you have any pics of where the motor is (when you were running) on the trailer?

Dying to see that, seems like you gained so much!

Dan

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What is this "need" concept you speak of? :)

The lower edges of the compression plate are just clearing the water at max height. I can tell because I start feeling a pound or so of torque steer on the tiller. So the water level is about halfway down the prop. No pictures but there are four inches of skeg beneath the boat, and the bottom of the boat runs about four inches down, so an honest eight inches at the moment.

I need something that will make a hump of water right where my prop sits...

·
Registered
74 Posts
What is this "need" concept you speak of? :)

The lower edges of the compression plate are just clearing the water at max height. I can tell because I start feeling a pound or so of torque steer on the tiller. So the water level is about halfway down the prop. No pictures but there are four inches of skeg beneath the boat, and the bottom of the boat runs about four inches down, so an honest eight inches at the moment.

I need something that will make a hump of water right where my prop sits...
Makes sense! Nothing wrong with that at all.

Seems like you gained so much since you started, very cool!!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts