Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a J16 and the decks have rot in the plywood. Just wanted some opinions. I can either get new decks from Carolina Skiff Large Front (4') and rear back Deck (3') for around $1000 or I could rebuild them with the foam core and fiberglass I had for an old Johnsen Skiff. It was a good deal overall and I think will be better served for my use then a v-hull like the johnsen skiff.

Carolina Skiff says they now do their decks with a foam core as opposed to plywood which would probably be lighter and not have the rot issue.

Or if anyone has any pictires of something they did different on a J16 would be appreciated.

Motor is a 25HP 2strk Merc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just curious, I am redoing a J14, mine is a foam core carolina skiff, are you telling me that once upon a time they did not have a foam core? I have been researching like crazy to try and find a soloution to my problem of water logged foam, just curious if the haul would hold up without the foam? what do your stringers look like mine are thin like 1/8 inch thick.

G

·
Just curious, I am redoing a J14, mine is a foam core carolina skiff, are you telling me that once upon a time they did not have a foam core? I have been researching like crazy to try and find a soloution to my problem of water logged foam, just curious if the haul would hold up without the foam? what do your stringers look like mine are thin like 1/8 inch thick.
Not sure about the new stuff, but the older models “not that long ago” had plywood core for the decks. The hulls are foam log construction.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I believe Carolina Skiffs all have similar foam core hull with a fiberglass floor. Earlier front and rear decks were plywood, glass, and gelcoat. Newer decks are foam core, not plywood.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just got rid of my old Carolina skiff. My grandfather, my father, my brother and I all pitched in to build the back deck and put a poling platform. We made a weekend out of it.we did it from Pressure treated wood, plywood,fiberglass cloth, and the resin, (sunny weather too).
Lots of beer and sanding. Not the most eye pleasing ,but I could try to jump from the platform with all my might to damage that deck and it was sturdy as a rock

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3 Posts
I need to replace the wood inside my long front deck on my J. How thick is the plywood? I think it may be either 5/8" or 3/4", would 1/2" work?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
21 Posts
I had a J14 and built both front and back decks out of pressure treated wood and then painted them. They have lasted 19 years and are still solid. Yes they are heavier than the other decks you can get from CS but I have witnessed those decks sagging over time. Just a FYI.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually just finish rebuild my J14, check out the thread on it if you are interested"water logged j14". I have factory decks on mine and they are good and solid, but brother those b&^%$s are heavy. I bet my front deck is around 80 pounds. the rear is a little lighter. If it were me, and weight was a concern IDK but I might look into some light weight alternatives. What about a nice piece of Aluminum, with some angle tacked up underneath for rigidity. of some fiberglass and honey combo joby, IDK just spit ballin here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe Carolina Skiffs all have similar foam core hull with a fiberglass floor. Earlier front and rear decks were plywood, glass, and gelcoat. Newer decks are foam core, not plywood.
I believe when this fella says "decks" what he is referring to is the removable platforms/deck on the CS, not the main floor/deck. my front removable deck/casting platform seems to be glassed over plywood, could be foam core but it is a heavy B*&^% for all that. The main floor is all foam, the haul is nothing but 2 pound foam, glass resin and a cossa board transom, mine is an 2005'.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The front and rear platforms were what I was referring to. I don't know the year, but CS stopped using plywood and changed to a foam core for their platforms. The decks (platforms) on my CS (1998) are like yours, both ply, glassed and gel coated, and heavy.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I would look at a custom deck. A custom deck will probably save some weight. If you are set on factory, salvage yards will probably be your best bet. Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts