I've got a strange fluid coming out.....

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by jlutsey, Sep 27, 2010.

1. jlutsey

jlutsey I Love microskiff.com!

of my prop. Its grey and frothy, but it's coming out of the exhaust from the prop. I've been doing some serious engine cleaning running carbon guard in the fuel and just ran a can of Mercury power tune through the engine as well. Lots and lots of smoke. engine runs good, water pump pumps good although i do have water exiting around the lower motor mount when im running it on the muffs. Is this normal? Any ideas about the grey substance?

2. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Check to see if your lower unit lube looks the same, if it does you have a bad seal. The water issue may or may not be an issue, try and pinpoint where it is coming from.

Swamp

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Between the engine cleaner and the 2 stroke oil I'd say what you're seeing is an emulsification
    of unburned 2 stroke oil, cleaner and water that has been deposited on the inside of the
    exhaust housing and is draining out after the engine has been turned off.
    You don't see it when running the engine on the flush muffs.
    You would see it floating on top if you ran in a bucket.

4. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Water coming out of a higher spot on the motor when the muffs on can be normal depending on the motor.

As far as the grey stuff coming out, if it is a 4-stroke I'd be curious, if it is a 2-stroke and it happened just after you used an engine cleaner then it's most likely just carbon being cleaned out, mixed with left over oil, gas, and water could look like a grey sludge.

5. jlutsey

jlutsey I Love microskiff.com!

Ah thanks, that was what i thought and really wanted to hear. Do these 25 merc 2 strokes always smoke like hell??

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

All 2 strokes smoke
    The amount of smoke is in direct relation to the mix ratio.
    At idle rpm's up to 40% of the fuel oil mix is discharged
    out the exhaust, unburned. Hence the heavy smoke.
    Note the blue coloration of the smoke, that's unburned oil.

7. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I sometimes run a 20 Hp merc  I use XD 50 very little smoke

here is a Vid of a Frankenstein 8 Hp

I think It has a 9.9 power head ... I changed the Carb ... and advanced the timing

hardly any smoke :)  XD-50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sou_C8PTLlA&feature=channel

8. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Additives can make a 2 "smoke" smoke even worse till the fuel is run though. Some make more smoke than others. When I only do a partial tank refill I tend to be a little more generous with the oil. If I do that a couple of trips in a row, I can get a bit of smoke. It goes away when I run the tank dry and replace with the right ratio. Doesn' take much extra oil to make a noticeable difference.