It's HOT!!!

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by rkmurphy, Jun 6, 2009.

1. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

My motor pees good and the tell tale is luke-warm when idling.

After a cruise, the pee stream is steaming hot.  I can't put my hand under it.  The block is pretty hot, too.

I also noticed that after the run the exhaust relief had a lot of smoke coming out of it.  But after a couple of seconds, it goes back to normal.

The motor doesn't run inconsistently or anything. It runs great.

Is this normal for a late 90s Merc 25 2 stroke?

Keep in mind I just had a complete water pump job done...housing and all.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

160 degree thermostat, yeah, that'd be hot to touch,
    then when back at idle and the engine isn't putting
    out a lot of heat, the temp would drop.
    It ain't broke, don't fix it.

3. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

what is the stream like when your running???????????

4. rkmurphy

Well I know my model has a low pressure stream. So, when I'm running, it's wind blown and hard to tell how good it is...but it is definitely peeing.

5. topnative2

talked to my friend a merc mec-a-nic
    he advised temp should be between 120-140 depeendint on year and that the temp should remain relatively constant not what u are describing
    ck/replace thermostat may not be opening all the way
    then the water jackets if in sw use

6. rkmurphy

Thermostat was replaced when the water pump job was done and water jacket had to be removed in the process because of broken bolts. I would imagine the mechanic would have let me know if something was wrong...

I'm definitely switching mechanics, though...

Is this a major issue? Or could I wait to address it til my next service in 4 months?

7. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

I would buy (invest in) a laser heat sensor and see exactly how hot it really is.

One of the best investments you could make.

Other use is checking hub temps.

8. rkmurphy

Talked to a reputable Merc place today and explained the whole situation. He said that as long as it's peeing, he doubts it's running hot and that if it is running hot to the point where the motor would start to get damaged, the pee stream would be non-existent and just steam shooting out. He mentioned a good way to test if it's to hot is to run the motor wide open for a while and quickly take the cowling off. Then, dip my hand in the water and drip water on the top of the cylinder block. If it boils, it's too hot.

I hope he's right...I'll test it this weekend.

9. islander1225

islander1225 Well-Known Member

my 98 25 merc 2strk did the same thing, and never had any issues out of it from september 08 until i sold the boat in april of this yea, run liek you stole it the motor will last forever.

Alex

10. topnative2

lets assume the h20 pump was put in correctly and everything else----then the next ques. would be is the motor set to high when your running and not getting enough flow over the intake

11. rkmurphy

Motor is mounted with the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the hull.

I'm going to try my best to get some good fishing in this weekend...I'll check everything then. Do the drip test and what-not. Hopefully it's nothing.

Either way...I'm switching mechanics ;D

12. topnative2

13. rkmurphy

Thanks a lot for the help so far, man. I really do appreciate it. I'll update before the weekend is over.

14. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

just keep in mind that water temps between 120 and 140 are gonna feel hot to the touch. the best way to know for sure how hot it's running is to get a thermometer and test it, thats probably what your new mechanics going to do anyways, you might be getting all worked up over nothing [smiley=1-headache.gif]

15. topnative2

I disagree---the best way is to hold an egg w/ a pair of vice grips  under the stream and see how long it takes to get a soft boiled egg----Brett has the appropriate tables to compare the times= tempertures
    ;D

16. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Applicable information for proper calibration using the egg method...
    Graphs, diagrams, computations and formulas needed.

http://blog.khymos.org/2009/04/09/towards-the-perfect-soft-boiled-egg/

It's a shame I'm so easily entertained.... ;)

17. rkmurphy

Well took it out today (even ran it on the hose before I left the house) and it started to pee like crap. I'm so tired of this sh*t. Either they installed a defective thermostat or just didn't put one in (which I payed for) and the motor hasn't peed or cooled the same since they did the water pump job.

When they reinstalled the water jacket and gasket, they slopped some sort of gasket sealer all over it and it's on the block, too. It looks like an amateur job.

I'm taking it to them on Monday and I expect it back by the end of the week in pristine working order. Afterword I have no plan on ever returning there. I don't know if I just had a bad experience with them or if this is a regular occurrence with them but, I will definitely be taking my business to a more reputable place.

18. topnative2

sorry to here that---stuff like that takes the enjoyment out ---we all been there and now it is behind you so you got it over with---now time to enjoy again

19. 1BadPFS

1BadPFS Built not bought...

make sure they did the WHOLE water pump kit, not just an impeller... sounds like to me they did the job half ass and only put an impeller in it, I've seen the same symptoms many times in that situation.

20. rkmurphy

I'm almost positive they replaced the whole housing.  Long story.  I payed a lot of visits there including going to pick up a housing assembly on my own and dropping it off at the shop where they showed me the old one.  They even said they had a used one in the shop that they tried.

I just don't understand how they can botch a job that I could have done myself if it wasn't for the broken bolts.

Edit:
    The slop of sealant applied to the water cover gasket looks like an incorrect procedure. After looking at my shop manual, it doesn't specify the use of any sort of gasket sealant. It is very specific on the use of sealants, too.