It's a micro.....cart?? Body work help puhleeze..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TomFL, Dec 12, 2012.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Picked up an older Club Car turf 2 golf cart with the dump bed on it for around the yard. As with all my projects, it's in need of a little TLC. I want to fill in all the gouges in the front end and do a vinyl wrap on it once it's smoothed over.

It's basically the same flexible material that the bumper covers on your car are made of. What can I fill in the gouges with?

[​IMG]

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Absolutely no freakin clue :-?

http://www.autobodysupply.net/articles.asp?id=135

3. disporks

disporks I Love microskiff.com!

Use this I use it on a daily basis
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_22987885-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-22987885&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=22987885&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CJGCgKC9lrQCFXCmPAodtzEAGg#utm_source=acq&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=enhancedrm&utm_content=22987885

You will need a 2 part primer and basecoat/clearcoat setup. Paint it just like a car. Wrapping immediately after painting can cause problems so Id suggest letting it sit a while before wrapping maybe a few months.

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Funny you ask and I'm not spilling the beans, but-
    http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_automix_ez_sand.cfm
    Clean, degrease, sand into a U shape, flame treat (pass a propane torch over it.  Get it hot but don't burn it) then apply the filler and finish as usual.

5. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that product requires the use of the $313 applicator gun!!!! :eek:

6. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Dispo, if I've got some pretty major gouges (1/4" wide and 1/8" deep), can I still use this stuff? Says it's for minor repairs..

Also, I'm not going to paint, just wrap it once filled/smoothed. Does this stuff need to be sealed or can I just wrap over it?

7. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Is there a reason you insist on wrapping it?

Take the panels off and bring emto my house. I got plenty of leftover awlgrip and materials. I'll have it lookin like new, lol probably better.
    Im bored since my skiff is done...
    I'll do it for a trade of takin me out in the sea vee ;D

Im serious

8. disporks

disporks I Love microskiff.com!

Tom send me a message and ill give you the full rundown on how to do it. I use this stuff daily to fix exactly the kind of damage you have....and we offer a lifetime warranty on our work, been using it for about 10 years now. And yes it would be best to seal it so your wrap has something to stick to.

9. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Cut, for whatever reason you and I have never seemed to hook up. Could be that I've been knee deep in house/work and haven't fished much this year.

Not sure if this warrants all that work, but you're more than welcome on my boat any time, bodywork or not. PM'd you my #.

-T

10. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Metal glaze is good stuff. Used to use it a lot at the shop. Try using Half Time by USC. As good of a product, easier to build up. Metal Glaze is much more liquid like. You'd have to let it kick a little so it thickens up if you're trying to fill bigger gouges.

Why the wrap? Why not just shoot some automotive paint on it? A decent base clear would look better than a wrap.

11. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Another thought...it is a dump cart, why F* with it at all?

12. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

If your going to wrap it then wouldn't it be best to sand as smooth as possible and shoot multiple times with a filling primer? No body man here but if its getting covered then...

13. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

I don't want a to make a fashion statement with it but I'd like to get it looking decent. Especially when I'm dumping. It's important to look good when you're dumping ;)

-T