Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see a lot of nice boats on here. Well built vessels, classy, efficient, great inspiration. My boat however, is not these things... yet!

Just got home with a Starcraft Mariner. She is a little rough, not as pretty as she once was. Not ideal for the fishing I like to do, but that is all going to change. For the time being I’m working on titling and registering it, then getting to work on taking out the chairs and console, giving the motor a good look (seems to run pretty good as is), and putting in some temporary platforms as casting decks. Gonna run it as it is after that for the rest of the season then go about sprucing it up a bit once I get a feel for how I want everything set up.

I’ll have questions, I hope you guys have some answers when I do. Going for a manageable river skiff for up here around the Chesapeake area. Will be back with more pics in a bit.

Attachments

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
I have just as much fun catching fish in Jon boats or canoes as I do in my bay boat. There are people with over 60,000 dollars in their boats and I guarantee you that there isn’t a difference of the fish catching “fun level” between what you have and their boats. Looks like you are off to a good start!

Go out, fish and have fun!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve been looking at your falcon thread. It’s really great! That’s somewhat of the direction I want to go, large casting platform up front, large platform in the stern, very simple and clean layout. No clutter is the name of the game here.

I can tell already this boat needs a new transom sooner rather than later, the floor under the carpet is cheap low grade plywood and soft in a few spots. Motor actually seems fine. The electric starter is strong, idles just a bit rich, but feels like it’s got lots of life to it.

Here is my first of many questions. I have looked at the original layout and there were two benches that ran the width of the hull. I see on mine someone has removed them, and the mounting plates from the hull. Were these structural in any way? In looking at the old Starcraft catalogue, the mariner has the benches, but it’s fellow the Star Trek-v which has very similar dimensions did not have any sort of lateral element aside from the bow deck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yanked the seats and carpet. Floor is not great. I suppose I should pull that out as well. Too many soft spots for my liking and visible rot in several places. Looks like I’ll just re do the thing now.

Also need a drain plug. The tunnel is smooth without threads. What are your guys thoughts on the compression fitting cam lock ones?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GOt the floor pulled out. Was filled with open cell blue foam pieces that were partially waterlogged. Floor was on there with a combination of drywall screws and rivers into some aluminum and some steel plate. Hull doesn’t look too bad really, some screw and river holes in the ribs (should I take the time to fill these?) and some sludge. Next I’ll take it off the trailer, adjust the trailer to be a better fit, pressure wash the hull and leak test it. Already ordered epoxy for the new transom and floor, debating using wood to frame the decking or aluminum.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Additionally, I am debating whether or not to paint the exterior of the hull. The interior will be sealed and painted, but the more I look at this boat the more I like the original paint. Maybe I’ll just touch it up, or spray a fresh coat of that green on it. Anyone know where to get a color matched marine paint?

B

·
0 Posts
Look into valspar lic40, it’s not marine but is industrial and 2part urethane. As good or better than marine paint and any valspar dealer can color match it for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ll look in to that, thanks!

Got the inside of the hull pressure washed after work. There is some steel rust on the surface in a few spots that wouldn’t come all the way off, left over from the portion of floor framing that the prior installer used as a support. It’s not too bad, minimal oxidation, a little sanding and it should be good enough to seal. Weather parmitting I’m going to pull the gunwhale trim, redo the transom, and get it off the trailer next. Then it’s gluvit and interior paint time.

Couldn’t get pics due to yet another evening storm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts