Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we roll into 2020, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a flats boat (I have a list a mile long of people that want me to take them, starting with my dad and son!).

Anyway, I'm 90% settled on either a Hewes Redfisher 16 or an Action Craft 1720. Thanks to the HOA, I have to be able to fit it in my garage (20' to work with), so either having a swing tongue trailer or a trailer design that can be converted to one is a must.

Here's what I'd ideally like to have on it:

Poling platform (kinda obvious)
Trolling motor
GPS fishfinder
Push pole
Power pole
Trim tabs
Jack plate

My budget is $10k – $15k depending on age, condition, and loadout. I'm looking for something that has been maintained with care and is turn-key ready for the water.

I'm in Lakeland and don't mind traveling a few hours for the right boat.

Feel free to educate me on other models that might be a good fit. What's attractive to me about Hewes and Action Craft are the quality, layout, and ability to handle a chop better than a lighter skiff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't think either boat will fit in your garage as you described. I sell Action Crafts out of the factory and run into this problem all the time. Boat is 17'2", with jackplate and motor you add roughly 30-35" depending on motor. Even the best trailers will extend past the bow a few inches. It will be very very close. I have a 1720 with a removable tongue trailer we are almost done building right now with a 115 Suzuki and jackplate. Call me if you want (number is on AC website) and I will get the most accurate measurements for you I can.

That being said, good used 1720's are hard to find, in very high demand. Look hard at them to make sure there are no surprises. If you need help call the factory and we will help you make it new again.

Good luck,

·
Registered
258 Posts
They look so good. I have an Native SUV 17 in my garage now, it’s cocked but in. I know the beam is way less. Do you think I’m missing a ton if I were to get a 1600/1622 vs a 1720? I was also looking at a Redfisher 16 but they are rare and expensive

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ended up buying an Action Craft 1600 TE. Thanks for the help!

how do you like the 1600? I love the look and thought of asmaller flats boat as I fish with two people max. My concern was if I wanted to take myself +3 people if it would support that many people. I also was curious how the stability is and how they handle chop. I live in jax,fl and fish the st.John’s a lot and need something that won’t beat me when it’s white capping.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would try to find the 1720. It will handle 3-4 with ease. With a ton of storage and crazy stable. Unless you really need that extra inch or so less draft of the 16.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts