Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Yall I'm new to here, but I've been looking for my first skiff/flats for awhile now. I live in Charleston and want somehting to takeout on the weekends to fish for red, but also be able to take a couple friends when I want to. Something that could go in the harbor on a calm day would be ideal and be able to fit 3 people would be awesome.

Taking suggestions on anything that would be ~$20k or less. Thank Yall

·
Registered
107 Posts
There are always a couple Hewes Redfishers with four stroke power for sale in Charleston in your price range. I used to have a 16 and loved it. Also could look for a Key West Stealth or Action Craft. None of them float super skinny, but they are comfortable in chop, can hold 3 people easy, and are easy to find in Charleston.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,655 Posts
I'm biased, but look for a Hewes lappy with slightly newer power. Or if you want something smaller, a Key West 1520 with a side console is another great all-around Charleston boat.

Sounds like you probably want to stay away from the more "technical" poling skiffs. You don't need the ultra-shallow stuff, and they will limit you when it comes time to cross big water or carry more people. Keep in mind you may also want to go shrimping, or just go cruise to Shem Creek, or fish the harbor for big reds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a good option. We’re planning on moving up to Awendaw soon around the Bull’s Bay area and looking at all of these Hewes, I found a super nice Maverick HPX-T at a good price. Does anyone want to put in their 2¢?

·
Registered
650 Posts
That is a good option. We’re planning on moving up to Awendaw soon around the Bull’s Bay area and looking at all of these Hewes, I found a super nice Maverick HPX-T at a good price. Does anyone want to put in their 2¢?
Bulls bay is a fun area to fish, I do suggest learning it on a low tide with the oysters especially in the bays if you do not know it already.

I wouldn't rule out a tunnel but I have not found many situations where I need to make an extended run in a shallow area where a tunnel is necessary here in SC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts