Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a flats boat and have a few in mind. I water tested an Ankona Copperhead a while back and like the way it handled. I really like the deck layout of the Mitzi 17T as well, but I've never been on the water with one. On the heavier side, I've been looking at the Hewes Redfisher 16 and Action Craft 1720 Flyfisher.

Even though Ankona and Mitzi are lighter and they might not handle the Tampa Bay chop quite as well, they're appealing designs to me.

Thanks to the HOA, I have to be able to fit it in my garage (20' to work with), so either having a swing tongue trailer or a trailer design that can be converted to one is a must.

Here's what I'd ideally like to have on it:

70 HP motor or more (I'll normally be fishing 2, but my family of 4 will be on it from time to time)
Poling platform (kinda obvious)
Trolling motor
GPS fishfinder
Push pole
Power pole
Trim tabs
Jack plate

My budget is $10k – $15k depending on age, condition, and loadout. I'm looking for something that has been maintained with care and is turn-key ready for the water.

I'm in Lakeland and don't mind traveling a few hours for the right boat.

Feel free to educate me on other models that might be a good fit. I'm shooting for a quality build, solid layout, and the ability to handle a moderate Tampa Bay chop.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
28 Posts
I used to have a Mitzi 15 and it did fine in Tampa Bay chop. I live on Tampa Bay and I think you can get by on most skiffs as long as the winds are more or less under 10 knots or from the west. Good luck with your search!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts