Votes: 25 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.8%
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This is a variation of the fly, 4/0 hook. Depending on current speed I might use a lead eye to get it down a little further. I anchor with ipilot up current of the bridge and cast back to the shadow line. Once in the shadow line I just let it sit there in the current and occasionally wiggle the fly with my stripping hand. I jumped 5 tarpon in a recent trip using this method. Landing them is the difficult part.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,781 Posts
Sounds like a fun time no matter what. Night fishing or daytime? I've always thought that fighting tarpon at night would be tricky.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sounds like a fun time no matter what. Night fishing or daytime? I've always thought that fighting tarpon at night would be tricky.
Only tried at night but I’m sure it will work during the day with a light leader and under right conditions. I’d say it’s at least 10x harder to land a bridge tarpon at night vs open water fish during day. At least at Bahia Honda as most fish are 100+ and run between the pilings every time.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,986 Posts
Trout fly fisherpersons;) use current to drift the fly then when it stops leave it there. Carp fly fishers drag the fly in front or very near to the carp and then let it sit, no movement.
While fly fishing for grass carp on a pond I some times drag the fly in the water from spot to spot rather then bringing all the line in. I've caught bass, bream and grass carp like this. Didn't land the grassies but did hook it. I was fly fishing, had a fly rod and a fly

·
Registered
361 Posts
Another scenario that comes to mind here:

Poling back to the anchor buoy we saw two tarpon laid up on the bottom. We were moving up current and the fish were facing the same way. My mind drifted back to a November day in a New England stream on the opposite end of the thermometer.

Standing in the middle of the stream, thankful for the waders and smartwool, I spotted a trout holding upstream. I cast above him and let the fly drift down across his face. As it approached I watched the fish lift up slightly and open its mouth to grab my fly.

Back (way) above zero I wondered what the tarpon would think of that. So I cast way above them and let the fly drift and sink their way. The dark blurry shape turned into well defined scales and a huge eye as one of them got out of bed for a snack!

I could have executed either move with any old stick off the ground. Should I care?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts