Votes: 26 86.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.3%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing heavy current and letting the fly sit back in the current with out stripping. Wiggling the fly a little bit with stripping hand and waiting for a bite.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you think?
I think it’s an effective way to catch fish and I like catching fish. Similar to drifting fly down a trout stream except you are not recasting. Still need to
have the right fly.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you are using a fly rod, fly line and legal fly, then it's fly fishing. If you are tipping your fly with a piece of squid or crab......that's bait fishing with a fly rod. There are a lot of ways to fly fish and a lot of different casts, retrieves, and methods. Are they all fly fishing to a purist? Maybe not, but if it catches fish?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
712 Posts
I guess I’m a bit of the liberal persuasion on this issue. While not dangling a streamer in current as many steel headers do , I am guilty of roll casting 15-20 feet to a redfish right by the boat. I’ve also had several hookups while reeling in my fly line. Both of these might be questioned by the more noble and pure minded fly fishers but are legit in my book.
Do it however it gives you relaxation and pleasure.
We are only here for a little while.......ENJOY IT !!!!!

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,928 Posts
Fishing heavy current and letting the fly sit back in the current with out stripping. Wiggling the fly a little bit with stripping hand and waiting for a bite.
Very effective method when catching sharks on fly. If it works....it works. Still gotta cast the fly out there...so you are fly fishing.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This makes me think of a scenario that happened a few years ago. I was fishing with a friend and we had anchored in a spot that gave a clear cast from the bow into a pocket in the mangroves. He would throw into the pocket, hook a fish, and while fighting the fish he moved down the side of the boat and opened up the spot on the bow so I could cast. I'd step up, cast into the pocket, hook up, and move down the side of the boat to open up the casting spot. He was done landing his fish so he'd take the bow and repeat, then I'd go, etc..

on one rotation I was letting my fly drag in the current while waiting for my turn when a snook grabbed the fly. Life was good that day. I don't care about what you want to call how I caught that fish. The point is we were out there having fun and not worried about the stresses or definitions of life on land. That's the dream to chase. Freedom.

·
will pole for food
958 Posts
Isn't this how you fly fish for Salmon / trout?

@EvanHammer & @Baydreamer35 swing flies for Tarpon at spot called "the rig". They claim it is fly fishing. I believe them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts