Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next year I am looking to branch out and fish new places in the Bay with my Action Craft Flatsmaster. I have heard a couple people talk about sightfishing redfish around Plum Tree Island NWR in Poquoson and the place looks awesome.

My understanding however, is that the refuge was previously a navy bombing range and that the land portion of the marsh is off limits. Is poling through those creeks putting the people on the boat at risk of running into unexploded ordinances long since sunk in the mud? Any information advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brendan

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
There are active Bombing ranges on waters I fish, no problem if you follow the signs If there was a problem , w that much common knowledge in your area ,it should be posted As well
Stay safe , catch a fish

·
Registered
82 Posts
I fish Poquoson flats quite often, I normally launch out of Messick Point. Feel free to PM me if you need some advice. That Redfish on my avatar is a Poquoson flats red caught in Sept three years ago. Its a great place but sight fishing has evaded me, except for a few times. The Reds don't cooperate like the do further south, however there are ways to catch them in the shallow...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
214 Posts
I’ve not fished that specific area. I usually fish from Mobjack north. I do fish in a couple danger zones on the Potomac and the thought has crossed my mind every time I jam my anchor pin in the sand. It’s bad enough we have to deal with all the abandoned crab pots, nets, and other junk in the water let alone worrying about being blown to bits from old ordnance. I gotta think the odds are pretty low but I don’t really know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Brendan, for some reason it is not letting me PM you back, if you PM your email, I have some answers to your questions.

Loogie

·
Registered
65 Posts
I used to duck hunt out there quite a bit and you can actually draw for plumb tree. I know there were signs out that was that have the postings regarding “danger” areas. Been a few years but I have a flats skiff and was planning on giving it a shot as well.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4,153 Posts
The primary in all things outdoors is nut sack. Have one and challenge life. Or don't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts