Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuing my journey to build a Gheenoe I'll be happy with for the right price, I'm facing another decision: should I spend the additional $300 for an electric start 9.9 hp motor? I'm a young 60, healthy, no reason I can't pull a cord. But I can push a button all day long. I'm guessing that moving from spot to spot throughout the day, pulling that cord might get a little old, especially if it doesn't start on the first pull (I plan to get EFI though...). Then there's probably going to be those one or two times when you have to get it started RIGHT NOW for some reason, and electric might be nice.

So, question to those of you who have owned them, were you happy you spend the extra$$, or for those who did not, did you regret it? Thanks for your time and advice.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I dont think you would pull a shoulder muscle on a 9.9, but I never regretted having an electric start. Hell, for all the money we boys invest in our fishing gear, whats another 300 bucks for a luxury option?

·
1652 G3, & 1756 Lowe tinnys
776 Posts
I have owned lots of different motors over the years. The ones that I had to pull, pull, pull and pull to get going were NOT my favorite rigs. Sure, if the motor is set up just right and starts every time, Pull sounds good. It's when they get cranky that you will be so very happy you spent the $300.00.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have owned lots of different motors over the years. The ones that I had to pull, pull, pull and pull to get going were NOT my favorite rigs. Sure, if the motor is set up just right and starts every time, Pull sounds good. It's when they get cranky that you will be so very happy you spent the $300.00.
Exactly.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
One or two other factors to consider - both have to do with "just how easy will it be to get back to your motor for that pull start"? Once or twice a day - no problem - 20 times in one day, (maybe day after day...) and things get interesting...

Lastly, you're in good shape now - but what about one or two or three years down the road - when just maybe... an electric start on your motor might be a game changer after an injury or some kind of disability....

I'll be 71 in a few weeks and still working on the water every day I have a booking. I know that at some point it will end for me - but I'm thinking ahead, making a few changes and expecting that sooner rather than later I'll be less able to "pull that cord"... Not something young guys think much about (at least I never did - all those years ago...).

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,973 Posts
One or two other factors to consider - both have to do with "just how easy will it be to get back to your motor for that pull start"? Once or twice a day - no problem - 20 times in one day, (maybe day after day...) and things get interesting...

Lastly, you're in good shape now - but what about one or two or three years down the road - when just maybe... an electric start on your motor might be a game changer after an injury or some kind of disability....

I'll be 71 in a few weeks and still working on the water every day I have a booking. I know that at some point it will end for me - but I'm thinking ahead, making a few changes and expecting that sooner rather than later I'll be less able to "pull that cord"... Not something young guys think much about (at least I never did - all those years ago...).
I am 73 this month n just bought an electric start f70la yamaha, nice but......previously my glades x had a modified 25 yamaha 2 stroke with high compression head n it was a bear to crank cold. Performance outweighs d pull start for sure. 2 50 hp n 1 35 hp Mercury manual start engines, but no problems as were stock compression...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’m 22, pretty strong (for my age I think)... lol.... paid 500 bucks for the electric start on my basic 2018 evinrude etec... and love that freaking think.... plus Being in a Shadowcast it’s small and the other person can be close so.... been a few times where I pull that cord and almost knock someone out with my elbow lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Continuing my journey to build a Gheenoe I'll be happy with for the right price, I'm facing another decision: should I spend the additional $300 for an electric start 9.9 hp motor? I'm a young 60, healthy, no reason I can't pull a cord. But I can push a button all day long. I'm guessing that moving from spot to spot throughout the day, pulling that cord might get a little old, especially if it doesn't start on the first pull (I plan to get EFI though...). Then there's probably going to be those one or two times when you have to get it started RIGHT NOW for some reason, and electric might be nice.

So, question to those of you who have owned them, were you happy you spend the extra$$, or for those who did not, did you regret it? Thanks for your time and advice.
I’m 22, pretty strong (for my age I think)... lol.... paid 500 bucks for the electric start on my basic 2018 evinrude etec... and love that freaking think.... plus Being in a Shadowcast it’s small and the other person can be close so.... been a few times where I pull that cord and almost knock someone out with my elbow lol
No question, get the electric start. I didn’t, and regret it every day. I am one shoulder injury away from not being able to start the engine, and that would mean the end of my fishing. I disagree with a previous post that said a 9.9 is easy to start. My Yamaha F9.9 requires a substantial pull. A friend standing top close once got my elbow to the jewels and was in serious trouble for a couple of days. GET IT!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds like you’ve made your mind up already, but one more advantage to having electric start on a 9.9: redundancy. I’ve had my pull chord break on me miles from the ramp. If your not able to make that repair on the spot, your limping in via a tow, your trolling motor, or god forbid, your push pole. Having the push start AND the pull start is just a nice way to make sure you’re never in that bind.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You will surely enjoy that option LONG after the $300 is forgotten.
Maybe as long as to when your 75-80 and maybe not so sprite.
If not, it will certainly add to resale.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts