Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on maybe going to the everglades / Marco Island area first week of April. Will there be snook on the beach this early?

Also this is an OK time to connect with the Tarpon migration... correct?

thanks

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
I am planning on maybe going to the everglades / Marco Island area first week of April. Will there be snook on the beach this early?

Also this is an OK time to connect with the Tarpon migration... correct?

thanks
Yes, it'll be too early. But there are plenty of other things out there, like jacks, pompano, mackerel, trout, etc. If you caught a snook, then the weather would have to be hot already and will not be common on the beach.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I fish the naples and everglades area the last two weeks of april every year. If it's hot, calm and baitfish are around, we usually get into snook on the beaches. But then again its not the big ones that maybe appear later on.

·
0 Posts
I fish the naples and everglades area the last two weeks of april every year. If it's hot, calm and baitfish are around, we usually get into snook on the beaches. But then again its not the big ones that maybe appear later on.
Yep. There's been years tarpon have been on the beach in April up here in Tampa. Then there's been years we've had a cool spring and they didn't show up till late may/early June

Water takes much longer to warm up than cool down. Springs that have days in 70s but nights in low 60s/50s we can have water temps below 70 till May. Springs where it is 80+ in March and we are fishing for tarpon on the beach masters weekend

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went in 2018 in May and there were lots of snook around the beach. I guess the second question is how long do they stick around for? Into August?

·
0 Posts
I went in 2018 in May and there were lots of snook around the beach. I guess the second question is how long do they stick around for? Into August?
Till it gets too cold. Could be October, could be thanksgiving

The volume will fluctuate with spawning

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,097 Posts
How about snook and juvi tarpon in back country end of March around Choko and Everglades City?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,097 Posts
Thanks, thinking about a trip around then. Never been in that part of the Everglades.

·
0 Posts
Thanks, thinking about a trip around then. Never been in that part of the Everglades.
You really should be able to target big tarpon on the outside in that area that time of year, as long as it isn’t cold, floating laid up in the sun

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
Yes this past May, it was unusually warm during the spring, which starts them to move out to the beaches earlier. So what you saw in may would have been the beginning of them moving onto the beaches (the smaller males mostly) while the bigger girls were starting their run from near shore reefs, through the passes in to the far inside back country for their spawn during the 1st full moon in May. That's when you should have been fishing the passes with full sink lines and larger heavier baitfish patterns for the bigger fish.

Tarpon may be out off the beaches in April if it's been warm in the spring, but you'll need a guide or boat to hit em.

·
0 Posts
what's the water temperature threshold - if anyone is willing to share :)
Old timers say 72 is when bait and kingfish show up. I’d say 75 for snook. Tarpon probably the same. but it’s really about the temp swings. Water takes a long time to warm up but will drop significantly overnight. If you go from a string of 85 days to a day the high is only 70, the temp will plummet

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
what's the water temperature threshold - if anyone is willing to share :)
For what, back country or beaches?

For the back country, if the water temps in the low 70's or better, especially if there is some open dark bottom for them to sun themselves on, then your good. But the snook will not move out to the beaches until the waters really warms up. Minimum would be 80 degrees on the beaches. But it's more ideal if it's 85+ degrees or warmer water temp for beach water for the snook to start their big push out on the beaches and start to feed out there and wait for the girls to appear.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
Old timers say 72 is when bait and kingfish show up. I’d say 75 for snook. Tarpon probably the same. but it’s really about the temp swings. Water takes a long time to warm up but will drop significantly overnight. If you go from a string of 85 days to a day the high is only 70, the temp will plummet
No. The tarpon don't show up unless the waters in the Gulf are at 80+ degrees. Smaller backwater poonettes are a different story.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts