Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going simrad evo3 on my Evo build and am stuck deciding on the 9" vs the 12".

To those running them, it the increase in size worth the cost increase (about a $1k jump from the 9 to the 12)? I will be running my gauges through the unit and then obviously mostly nav for the rest of the screen. I will be using the sounder every now and again but we wont go there cause I'm sure the banter will run amuck!

I should probably also mention that it's a side console, so I'm not 100% sure sure that a 12 would even mount securely.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
How much do you use it? If your 9” worked for you I’d stay with it but if you want to drop another grand and lose console space go for it!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure why I worded it as "bumping", all I have now is a lowrance 7" on my kayak. FWIW I use the one on my kayak a lot more than I thought I would so I have to assume that I would use the one on the boat a lot as well. I know that the 7" wont hack it as I have moved it very close to myself on the yak. I feel like I want the 12" but I'm not sure that I need it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you order today overtons has 40% off still
overtons40
this caught my attention so I had to go look....doesnt work on the larger, more expensive units, seems to stop working on anything priced over $1000...or trolling motors..

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
this caught my attention so I had to go look....doesnt work on the larger, more expensive units, seems to stop working on anything priced over $1000...or trolling motors..
There are a few brands that it doesn't work on but Ive seen orders go through for chartplotters and even some outboards.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I could have gone with the 12" Evo3 on our bay boat, but in all honesty, the 9" is big enough and I just couldn't stomach that much more money for 3 more inches. If insufficient funds is not your problem, bigger is always better. If your broke like me, go with the 9". It gets the job done

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If you look at a specific unit on Overton's the details will tell you whether or not it is open to any discounts. Most of the NSS evo3 units say they are not.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Going simrad evo3 on my Evo build and am stuck deciding on the 9" vs the 12".

To those running them, it the increase in size worth the cost increase (about a $1k jump from the 9 to the 12)? I will be running my gauges through the unit and then obviously mostly nav for the rest of the screen. I will be using the sounder every now and again but we wont go there cause I'm sure the banter will run amuck!

I should probably also mention that it's a side console, so I'm not 100% sure sure that a 12 would even mount securely.
I just went through this process. I received some excellent advice. Bring your nav chip to a marine store and start using the units in the store. I had intended to go with 9 inch to save some money. After trying the units in the store it become obvious that I had to go to 12 due to my eyesight and the detail of the nav chip. I did not want to spend more but realized that starting with 9 and then upgrading to 12 would only cost me more money in the end. I ended up with the NSS evo3 12 and FMT chips. Just got back from the Keys. No way would I ever want to use another chip or go with a smaller unit. I have mine on a mount (Balzout). You can call the owner and send him some pictures and specs and he will set up a unit for your boat.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting to hear the same account. After talking with several people and messing with the units in person I am definitely going with the 12.

Now the really hard decision, do I really need an evo 3 or will a lowrance 12ti2 work just as well?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Excludes generators, augers, trolling motors, electronics, appliances, memberships, & gift cards.
It ended last week but you have to click the item to see if a promo code will work. Some of the electronics it worked on.

The 30 and 25 codes are still active

1 - 20 of 20 Posts