Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Ex Troutbum
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second time this has happened to me in the last few months. I just bought a new Abel SDS 7/8. Which has a stated backing capacity of 240 yards of dacron backing with an 8wt fly line.

I filled the reel today with 200 yards of 20 pound dacron to give a bit of leeway having had this issue recently with another Abel reel and a Rio Flats Pro 8wt. The SDS is getting a Monic intermediate in 8wt. That line wont come close to fitting on the reel. So I stripped off 50 yards of backing, still is tight.

What do you guys do. I know I can cut the line and use a nail knot but I hate cutting lines.

Gad the irritated

(yes I know this is a first world problem!)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Monic and Airflo lines take up a ton more room than other lines, due to the material. Not the reel or backings fault.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
I was told that the Rio Direct Core Flats Pro 8wt is really the same weight as a 9wt, according to the affta chart, admittedly by Rio. So it maybe the diameter of your Flats Pro is larger than what a normal 8wt fly line diameter would be. So that's probably what is taking up so much space in the spool. Also, 150yrds of backing on an 8wt in Tampa Bay is really all you need, unless you are going bonefish fishing somewhere's else.

What brand of backing is it. I haven't use dacron in like 25yrs. I usually use Cortland Micron in 20, which is about 25% less dia. Or you could spend the money and buy Rio's GSP 50, which is also smoother and less diameter than 20lb dacron. Or go to 50lb Seaguar Threadlock hollow core braid, which lays flat and therefore will save space. It's also expensive, but hey, you're putting it on an Abel! ;)

So the Rio Flats Pro is 105ft. I'm sure you are not doing 115ft of fishing cast (105ft of fly line + 10ft of leader). So clip off 15 to 20ft of running line at the backing side of your fly line. That will still give you fly line cast from 95-100ft (leader included) and you can still shoot backing if you feel it's needed (hightly doubt it's needed tho ;)). There will be the simplest fix to keeping that line and your 200yrds of dacron. BTW, the Monic is a 8.5wt line, so the diameter will also be a bit larger on that one as well.

Ted

·
Ex Troutbum
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m hand reeling the backing on. I guess I’ll have to relent and cut the line and use a nail knot.

·
Ex Troutbum
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Line cut, backing nail knotted on. Problem solved. Although it still irks me that I have to cut the line. lol

·
Ex Troutbum
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use the same rod for bone fishing, plus I’ve caught some enormous jacks that had me well down in the backing. Just being conservative.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
I use the same rod for bone fishing, plus I’ve caught some enormous jacks that had me well down in the backing. Just being conservative.
Crank that drag down and put the heat on them...if they break off they win IMHO.

Had about a 4' blacktip on my 6wt once. Didn't even try to fight him. :)

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
You need to reel that backing on as tight as possible for two reasons. So it fits and so when a fish runs into backing with drag it doesn’t dig into itself and break.
This!!! ^^^

I'll take an old wash cloth, fold it longways while wrapping the backing in it and basically make a tube where the backing will slide thru it. Then with my rod hand, I'll sort of fold it into an "S" and use that hand with the folded wash cloth in my hand in that configuration and hold it about a foot or so away from the reel with my thumb touching the rod. Then start winding it with enough pressure where the line goes on tight, but not too much to bind in the towel tube, making sure you wind it back and forth as level as possible. It usually does the trick packing it on tightly, to save me a trip to a fly shop.

·
Ex Troutbum
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Ted. I’ll use that.

in terms of the amount of backing. As a long term freshwater trout guy. The first large saltwater fish I caught 20 years ago was a large striper. Between the size of the fish and the current I was taken into the backing to the point that when I looked down at the reel and saw black (the spool) I realized I was about to be spooled. So now I always want enough backing so that regardless of the fish or the current (not an issue for the most part down here) that won’t happen.

it’s a larger issue. I wish reel manufacturers would not be so optimistic on capacity and line manufacturers would produce lines true to the astm standards. Less hunt and peck when setting up a reel

Again. First world problem.

Gad

·
I Love microskiff.com!
725 Posts
I was told that the Rio Direct Core Flats Pro 8wt is really the same weight as a 9wt, according to the affta chart, admittedly by Rio. So it maybe the diameter of your Flats Pro is larger than what a normal 8wt fly line diameter would be. So that's probably what is taking up so much space in the spool. Also, 150yrds of backing on an 8wt in Tampa Bay is really all you need, unless you are going bonefish fishing somewhere's else.

What brand of backing is it. I haven't use dacron in like 25yrs. I usually use Cortland Micron in 20, which is about 25% less dia. Or you could spend the money and buy Rio's GSP 50, which is also smoother and less diameter than 20lb dacron. Or go to 50lb Seaguar Threadlock hollow core braid, which lays flat and therefore will save space. It's also expensive, but hey, you're putting it on an Abel! ;)

So the Rio Flats Pro is 105ft. I'm sure you are not doing 115ft of fishing cast (105ft of fly line + 10ft of leader). So clip off 15 to 20ft of running line at the backing side of your fly line. That will still give you fly line cast from 95-100ft (leader included) and you can still shoot backing if you feel it's needed (hightly doubt it's needed tho ;)). There will be the simplest fix to keeping that line and your 200yrds of dacron. BTW, the Monic is a 8.5wt line, so the diameter will also be a bit larger on that one as well.

Ted
I think he pretty well covered it all.

I love that flats pro line !!!

Come on spring !!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,244 Posts
I use a line winder. 30# SA gel-spun. It's time-consuming but I wind the line on the spool, tie the backing to the line with an overhand knot, and wind backing until the reel is full. Wind the backing off, wind the line off, then put them on the reel in the correct order. At the line end of the backing I tie a 30 turn Bimini twist. With the double line I make a three turn surgeon's loop large enough to get a fly line spool through so I can change lines by unlooping the old line and loop on the new one. I want all the backing I can get on the reel. I wet a cloth and use it to keep tension on the backing as I wind it on. It's important to put the fly line on tightly, too. I saw a friend pop his tippet on a false albacore when his fly line dug in.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
This!!! ^^^

I'll take an old wash cloth, fold it longways while wrapping the backing in it and basically make a tube where the backing will slide thru it. Then with my rod hand, I'll sort of fold it into an "S" and use that hand with the folded wash cloth in my hand in that configuration and hold it about a foot or so away from the reel with my thumb touching the rod. Then start winding it with enough pressure where the line goes on tight, but not too much to bind in the towel tube, making sure you wind it back and forth as level as possible. It usually does the trick for me and saves me a trip to a fly shop.
I’m a ******* so I spool it up normally then hook a fence post, walk it out and then reel it up with some tension on the rod. I do the same on all my baitcasters and spinning reels as well.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts