iPod Questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Weedy, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Hey guys/gals, I'm new to this whole iPod stuff. I just ordered a iPod nano 8GB for my daughter for her birthday. Well, I have been thinking about getting one for myself also, however I have a few questions. I have read that you can only download songs from iTunes and deleate from there as well. What if I have a bunch of mp3 songs on my computer, can I upload them from my computer or what. Does anyone have any experience with this gadget and is it worth the $133.00 for this item???? Thanks inadvance and look forward to what everyone has to say......

PS, What about a water proof container to keep it on in th eboat and you can still listen to it??

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod

I find I have very little use for anything that interferes with my ability to react
    to sounds that might apprise me of imminent danger or interesting critters.
    Sticking in earplugs and cranking the volume just sounds like accelerated hearing loss.
    And whether in the woods or on the water, peace and quiet is why I'm there.
    At home, the speakers on my computer and stereo take care of all other entertaining sounds.

3. out-cast

out-cast Well-Known Member

I use the itunes library to store and upload onto it via any source. If I borrow a cd and download onto my computer, then I can just upload to the pod.

4. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

i hate apple.

I got one these and it rocks. does everything you describe.

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=n&ProductID=23348&BrandStore=All

5. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

If you have a mac get the Ipod. If you have windows get an mp3 player. Windows based players sync to a PC automatically. You get more GB capacity for the dollar in windows based players. I plug mine into an old pair of powered computer speakers out in the garage for tunes.

6. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

As far as the boat goes, you need 2 speakers and a 2 channel amp, and an RCA jack to 1/8'' mini stereo plug. Use the vol control on the player. I have this same setup in my Jeep and it works great.

7. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I always get "Pre-Ban" Players so I can Dump the contents When and Where I Want !!! as many Times as I want !!!

But I have a buddy that can Repair The "defect" that exists in all Current Players ...

8. rcmay

rcmay Well-Known Member

I have 2 Ipods, 1 classic 160 GB and a 2GB Nano, I also have an Iphone 3gs, and my wife has a Iphone 3g, I only have windows based machines. I find the Ipod the best solution for my music. Once you figure out how to operate Itunes, you will enjoy it. You can upload any music files, as well as CD's that you have to your itunes and from there you can put them on your Ipod.

9. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

x2...and doing it on windows. All you have to do is click and drag you song files into you itues folder and you set.

10. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Seriously, I have an iPhone 3Gs and I couldn't be any happier.
    The iPod in it is great.
    All one has to do is drag the MP3's into iTunes and then sync it and it's all there.
    Regular MP3 players cant even compare.

And all my computers are running Windows Vista (for now).
    I personally want to buy a G5 Mac Pro.

11. boggob

boggob Beer me.

itunes will have you hostage. you can convert your current mp3s to your itunes library.

I skipped all of that and got a sony walkman. I can sync through windows media player or simply just copy and paste from my mp3s.

12. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Hostage? You guys must be WAY more techno-savy than I am...  I have an ipod & iphone both have music that was purchased through itunes, cd's, & copied music without any issue.  Like Skinny & RC said; drag, drop, plug in iDevice and rock out...

It is designed to be idiot proof and trust me, it is! Some of the folks I have helped learn how to work Itunes are close to window lickers...

Edit: Weedy check out the Otterbox offerings http://www.otterbox.com/ipod-cases/...-cases/ipod-nano-4th-gen-armor-sport-package/

13. noeettica

I have over 10,000 mp3's ;D ;D ;D

14. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

10,000 of 'em, eh?
    And you have the Audacity to brag about it too... ;)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

15. noeettica

probibibly more ... I ripped all my old Lp's and cd's ... I buy a lot of used cd's for like .50 cents some have 14 songs ...

sure beats I tunes !!!

I actually had to "Crack" a Cd for the recording artests that performed on it Beacuse of how the studio made the Cd and the Studio would not give them thier own music !!! Glad I had an old Windows ME machine with NO DRM !!! and could help them out ...

16. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

I loaded all my CD's to the lap top then to my BlackBerry and play them on it. Also have a Sandisk player I use on the skiff with the same copied cd's. this way if it gets wet no big deal...

17. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

Dont listen to Beavis. He's just dumb anyways.........Everything made by Apple is the BOMB. iTunes is easy.

18. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

x2 -Safari

19. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

If by the "Bomb" you mean catch fire and explode... ;)

http://www.slashgear.com/spontaneously-smoking-imac-caught-on-camera-video-2553626/

http://www.macworld.com/article/143347/2009/10/ipod_nano_battery.html

20. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for all the info.