Ipe English Long Bow

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Swamp, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

By request:

Ipe backed with silk.  The backing is probably unnecessary, but it adds very little limb weight and since this is not a flight bow I'm not worried about it anyway.  It drew 55#@34'' when I last measured it, more than enough to take any game I want here in FL.  I draw this bow to in a traditional manner and not to to my chin or ear hence the long draw (though I do have monkey arms @ 6'3").  My plan is to make two or three more but increase the poundage with each one till I hit 120#.  That was about the minimum poundage from the bows they found on the HMS Mary Rose.  Why do I want to make a 120# English War Bow? Because I can and want to!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Bow looks incredible and I'm sure it's satisfying as heck to shoot it. Lot of pride in it.

120lbs... you've gotta be an animal or glutton for shoulder pain! :eek:

-T

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

He said he was as strong as a gorilla.

4. Swamp

Thanks.  Shooting a war bow is different.  You draw your had to the chest (string past ear) while "stepping" into the bow.  This lets your back do most of the work.  I've seen 150# guys shoot. But yeah it's gonna take work and I ain't a kid anymore. Some guy was shooting a 160# + bow a while back. Ouch.

Couple of vids. Check out the diameter of the arrow shafts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dypwMBbHkkU&feature=relmfu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIu2khW4XtE

5. Swamp

LOL! At 215 lbs, I wish. I just have knuckle draggers. But I have learned to some generate power over the years. :cool:

6. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

That's an awesome bow! Is that dynaflight string you are using there?

Going for 120#, man...I'd do it...if the bow had about 80% let-off! lol
    That's sweet though. I guess you'll surely be plucking the yew at the frenchies with that thing!How accurate are the english war bows?I've only known them to be used in the "hail of arrows" utilization.
    I'm currently running compound. Parker trailblazer XP to be exact but I've always flirted with buying/building a recurve. I haven't shot in like 2 years though. Hey, have you ever seen this video of this dude robin hood'n?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySSGPG27anA

7. Swamp

Thanks.  No it's good old B50.  I don't like the Dyneema strings for wooden bows.  Dacrons stretch does not shock the bow as much.  I put a Flemish loop on one end and an archers hitch (timber hitch) on the other.  The dampeners are coyote zonker strips I raided out of my fly tying stuff.

80% let off?  Ha! Try 100% let off...as soon as you release that is!  ;D

Yeah the French got really screwed.  Up hill, in the mud, and though a bottleneck.  They were overconfident and the English got dammed lucky they made it to that spot before the French caught up to them.  Just about anywhere else the the English would have been wiped out.  Not to mention they where half starved, worn out, and half dead from dysentery.  I don't think they could have made it through a prolonged stand up fight even if they had the numbers.  Have you read Bernard Cromwell's novel?  I love his style and he really does his research before embellishing.  His Saxon Chronicles are also superb and one of my all time favorite series, but then that time period is one I focus on so I'm kind of prejudiced. That reminds me I need to check my armor for Fridays fighter practice...

While EWBs (English War Bow) are most known for their artillery like clout shooting, you can target shoot with them just fine and be accurate with them just like any other bow.  The problem some shooters have is that you pretty much have to snap shoot them.  Most people just can't hold that much draw weight.  That is where instinctive shoot comes into its own.

A wheelie cheater eh?!  LOL! Just kidding!  I marvel at the engineering that goes into the high tech stuff.  Last time I shot a compound was when a friend handed his to me and explain how to line every thing up.  I put three arrows in the area of a quarter at ten yards.  Beginners luck.  He was disgusted and told me he ought to give me the bow since I shot better than he did.  I just prefer a traditional or primitive bow without sights or doodads.  I like simple, it suits me.  Just my preference not a prejudice.

Making a bow is easy really.  You can make a big box store board bow for less than $20 in a day.  It won't last forever but it will teach you how to do it.   No need to start with a $500 Alpine Italian yew stave. Some good books and web resources out there. Making a fiberglass recurve is a bit more involved but not that tough either.

Haven't seen that one.  Pretty cool if you mute it.  Sounded like a bunch of local reporters making angst because the mayors house got egged.  LOL!  There are a bunch of spooky good trick shooters out there.