Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all!
Didn’t wanna dig through old threads, but what iPad do I need to get to utilize navionics on my Skiff? I’m getting conflicting answers when I ask different people. Some are saying any iPad others are saying one that has cellular capabilities.
I wanna be able to use it on my Skiff no matter where I am, be it in the Backcountry or nearshore.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Semper Fi, Ron

· Registered
2,918 Posts
Navionics doesn't store the maps on the device. You will need to manually download the images of the area before you head out. Download Navioncs, then put your device on airplane mode and see how it works. You do not need a 4g signal for the GPS to function.

On-X also allows you to download maps for use without 4g.

· Registered
373 Posts
I believe you have to have wi-fi or cell connection so you can utilize the satellites or whatever they use. I sprung and got the card for my Lowrance and just update the subscription each year. If you have cell service and the option to make your phone a hotspot you could do that or just use your phone instead of the iPad.

Reactions: devildog

· Registered
373 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
I like the chip for my plotter. I can update it as much as I need to for the year and I like that I can even update just the area I want. Me personally if I was using the app I would just use it my phone and not an iPad but again that's just me.

· Registered
811 Posts
I believe you have to purchase an IPad or other brand Tablet that had Cellular data capabilities. There are some thread over on the Hull Truth board about it as well.

I will add that we just got back from a DIY Louisiana trip, and even though we purchased a satellite overlay chip (not Navionics) for our Simrad, we found the Navionics app’s imagery and data on my phone to be invaluable for our trip while scouting.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
So heres the deal.

Ipad with cell will give you gps on the water if you have signal. The cell ipad costs a little more but if your dedicating it to boat use a refurbished ipad air 2 cellular is about $150-200. Plus the cost of the cell line on your cellular account usually $10/month for a tablet.

What I would do if it were me and I was set on using a tablet. I would get a refurbished wifi model in your price range and buy one of garmins bluetooth gps to connect it.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/645104

I dont like either option. The first one is $ and the second one you will have to keep 2 devices charged up.

· Registered
532 Posts
I use my iPhone8 and iPad Pro. Most smart phones and tablets GPS will work without a data connection. I use my phone mostly and I’m usually in places where there is no service. You do have to download the area you want to run if you don’t have a data connection. As mentioned previously though good luck seeing your screen in direct sunlight and they will overheat. It works just fine for what I do.

· I Love microskiff.com!
629 Posts
One of the benefits of cellular on a tablet would be the use of Google Earth too. But, other members have already eluded to the issues with using a tablet as your primary charting device.

· Registered
868 Posts
iPad with the cellular option has an embedded GPS.
WiFi only iPads do not have an embedded GPS. ...
To obtain GPS data, your iPad will first try to use the GPS chip, then WiFi, then cell tower triangulation.

Phones have an imbedded GPS and will locate without cell or wifi signal.

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,247 Posts
I use an IPad with the GPS tracks app. I need actual satellite imagery for a lot of the back marsh stuff I do.

The iPad that is cellular enabled is gps capable so I don’t need cell signal to have it track my position, and with the pro version of the GPS Tracks apps I can download a wide variety of map imagery to my device so I don’t need a cell signal to pull the image up as I would with google earth. I can go into Google earth and mark points and tracks, save them to Dropbox then import into my app.

I recently bought an Apple Air 2 used but in great condition for $225 from a cell phone repair place and found a life proof case on eBay for $17. I use a sea sucker mount. My only complaint is that the screen sucks in bright light. If it’s bright I’ll switch to topo mapping because it’s a lighter background.

Attachments

· Registered
256 Posts
A couple of words of caution about the GPS in new iPad, iPad mini, and iPhone.

First, none of them are WAAS GPS (nor ever have been, nor are any other phone and tablet that I know of), which means accuracy fluctuates, and this means you may not be exactly where you think you are, not very important driving a car on a road, but running channels through the flats or flying an airplane in the mountains when you can't see very well it can be very important. There are external WAAS GPS units that you can purchase and use with some Apps, but not all, and of course you'd now have two devices to power.

Second, something happened to the quality of GPS in the new iPad mini and I believe in the iPhone 11 (which probably also means in new iPads). My guess is the Chinese supplied a cheaper version of GPS chips than in previous devices without Apple's knowledge. I say this because when the new iPad mini came out I saw wild fluctuations in GPS accuracy, at times so poor that the GPS chip quit sending data. I worked with Apple on this for about three months. They confirmed my findings and haven't been able to fix it with software updates (at least not yet) which is why I say I think its a hardware issue. At the time the problem was restricted to the new Mini, but my new iPhone 11 Pro exhibited the same behavior a couple of times running on the water using Aqua Map, and I happened to be trying to get into a very narrow channel through the flats that I hadn't been on before. Took about 45 minutes for me to locate it the old fashioned way. This was before I got my Simrad with FMT/LMT which does have a WAAS GPS but per FMT's instructions I had to go into Simrad's settings to activate.

FYI, I've never had any GPS problems with any of Apple's earlier devices.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.