Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve searched but can’t find the post, but I believe someone confirmed that you could use the blue or pink foam board from HD/Lowe’s with EPOXY resin. Is that correct? (Peel off the plastic sheathing first).

Thx

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
Not to hijack but would the blue stuff be adequate to use as a deck board glassed over? I am in the process of gathering materials for a small skiff build and am wanting to shave a few pounds w/o shaving too much from my account.

Michael

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
Not to hijack but would the blue stuff be adequate to use as a deck board glassed over? I am in the process of gathering materials for a small skiff build and am wanting to shave a few pounds w/o shaving too much from my account.

Michael
I wouldnt use it to build a deck. Just use plywood and epoxy resin at that point

·
Mostly Harmless
2,196 Posts
I used extruded pink styrofoam for flotation. It just hangs there. It gets along fine with epoxy. As stated, the slightest hint of acetone dissolves it.

...BUT IT IS NOT STRUCTURAL!!!!!!!!!

If you can crumble something with your fingers, it will crumble and tear due to the torsion between the inner and outer FG skins. You can’t expect it to act act a core that brings anything to the party, so no styrofoam hulls, decks and bulkheads. Non-structural pieces like rod holders should be fine.

Nate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts